Disc-Style Funny Car Wheels

This is your place to post your restoration from start to finish. Factory built cars only. All others go in the home brew section.
M.R. Ogle

Disc-Style Funny Car Wheels

Post by M.R. Ogle »

Okay, so I found these plastic disc-style front wheels/tires for my nostalgia funny car:

They're from DuBro, they're actually vintage airplane wheels, I just sanded the "spokes" off them:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wt ... LXKLV2&P=7

Anyway, they're a good size, they're a featherweight 4.5 ounces each, and they'll look pretty good after I paint them flat aluminum silver.

The downside is...

I was going to chuck these up in my lathe and bore the holes out for a set of 5/8" OD bearings, and put 18 little round "dimples" around the perimeter to simulate the old Cragar Super Tricks... but my little hobby lathe won't handle anything that diameter...DOH!!!
Bryant

Re: Disc-Style Funny Car Wheels

Post by Bryant »

Mike that is going to look "SUPER TRICK" No pun intended. How thick is the hub area for the bearings? That is the same size tire and wheel as my F/C.
Q/S FUNNY CAR
EASTEX EXPRESS
M.R. Ogle

Post by M.R. Ogle »

I didn't get a measurement on the thickness of the wheel at the center, but I'd say it was over 1 inch. I will have to use longer 1/4" stub axles with these particular wheels.
I already sent them on a trip to a machinist who is going to ream the center holes out for flanged bearings. Of course, I'll post pics when they're painted up and mounted.

If anyone wants to see a gazillion photos of funny cars wearing this type of front wheel: http://www.70sfunnycars.com/
mad62
1/4 scale guru

Post by mad62 »

hi mike,
how did you get on with the wheels,were they able to be reamed out for the bearings?

mike
M.R. Ogle

Post by M.R. Ogle »

Yep...I got them back from machining today, I'll have them on the car by the weekend, and I'll post pics. They definitely have the "spirit" of the old Cragar "Super Tricks", the first generation "disc" wheels before the Centerlines came out.
Bryant

Post by Bryant »

Awesome Mike O. that's going to look COOL!
Q/S FUNNY CAR
EASTEX EXPRESS
M.R. Ogle

Post by M.R. Ogle »

Oooops...Easter Holiday.

Okay, maybe I'll get my stub axles on Tuesday.
M.R. Ogle

Post by M.R. Ogle »

Got them on... Thanks to John Foster for his machining help with these. He even tapped around the edges to fit tiny little 2-56 steel buttonhead screws.
Finally, the vintage Funny car has "period-correct" style wheels.
Mike Casey
Legacy Member

Post by Mike Casey »

those look great mike!!! Very cool!
www.quarterscalelegends.com The Awesome history of 1/4 scale!!
mad62
1/4 scale guru

Post by mad62 »

hi mike,
those really finish off the look of the car,
these would look good on a 1/4 scale dragster also,how hard are the rubber tyres on these rims,
thanks for the great ideas,

cheers mike
M.R. Ogle

Post by M.R. Ogle »

They're actually "sealed" foam. so they're not as hard as solid rubber. But they roll fine, nice and quiet!
Bryant

Post by Bryant »

Wow that looks great Mike, John does good work. I really like Nostalgic Drag Cars. AWESOME!!!! Hey that's the same Wheels on Tripp Shumate's 79' Plymouth Arrow.
Attachments
Johnny Loper  79 Plymouth Arrow.JPG
Q/S FUNNY CAR
EASTEX EXPRESS
Juiced Drag Racing
Legacy Member

Post by Juiced Drag Racing »

Very, Very Cool!!!!!

Great Job!!!

Juiced