Slingshot Dragster Rear Section

This is your place to post your restoration from start to finish. Factory built cars only. All others go in the home brew section.
InsaneMB

Re: Slingshot Dragster Rear Section

Post by InsaneMB »

12-98 months....I'm not sure what to say about that... I've been in the service business for 30 years..
Insane Model Builder
M.R. Ogle

Post by M.R. Ogle »

Historically speaking...
Sorry to say, 12 to 98 months is about the right timetable for a LOT of the product development in Quarter Scale ... which is also one contributing clue as to why it's so hugely popular nowdays.

(that's sarcasm, in case it did not come through as intended)
InsaneMB

Post by InsaneMB »

I wouldnt have caught your sarcasm without the tag line.....

If I'm paying good money, I expect a decent product in a reasonable amount of time, which is not a lot to ask.
Years ago I dealt with people that would get to it when they could, .....that meant 12-98 mo.s....I aint got time for that crap!

Do your job, do it right, in a reasonable of time and send me a bill.....
Insane Model Builder
Mike Casey
Legacy Member

Post by Mike Casey »

Insane, I completely agree with you.

BUT

I dont really have a business here. The LRU site is purely just to help out. I have acquired a very large amount of tooling for 1/4 scale over the years. I collect the tooling. Its one of the most exciting aspects of this hobby. The fiberglass tooling can be used without hurting it and its easy to do small runs of one piece at a time with it. For that reason, I offer these on LRU for people looking to restore their cars. Most of the time i end up trading bodies for parts and not even selling them. Mike O has made a couple plugs for molds. I have the molds made and then we offer those bodies as well. But I really cant stress how much this really is not a money making venture. I have lost literally thousands of dollars selling these bodies between tooling costs, shipping, driving all over hell and packaging. To give you an idea, i produce about 6 bodies per year of my "BEST" selling body with the exception of the limited run of daytona coupe bodies we sold, which i may add, i lost a very large sum of money on due to me picking up 100% of the shipping tab to help a friend.

The time frame i mentioned is just to get a mold made, could be faster but from experience... time goes by much faster then you expect. I will have to pay for this and I will certainly never recoup the cost of it. Once the mold is made, it generally takes one to two weeks for me to ship a body.

I am definitely not complaining over here. If i did not want to do this, i simply would not. Just telling you guys the way it is in my shoes over here. I love this stuff and I will continue to invest in it for years to come. Well, as long as my wife lets me anyway... :lol:
www.quarterscalelegends.com The Awesome history of 1/4 scale!!
Mike Casey
Legacy Member

Post by Mike Casey »

pretty good. My friend is going to be happy with it. I am waiting on some parts from the foundry for it and some other small items. I should be able to start assembling it soon. A couple weeks ago i recieved some really nice parts to detail it off.
InsaneMB

Post by InsaneMB »

QSL wrote:Insane, I completely agree with you.

BUT

I dont really have a business here. The LRU site is purely just to help out. I have acquired a very large amount of tooling for 1/4 scale over the years. I collect the tooling. Its one of the most exciting aspects of this hobby. The fiberglass tooling can be used without hurting it and its easy to do small runs of one piece at a time with it. For that reason, I offer these on LRU for people looking to restore their cars. Most of the time i end up trading bodies for parts and not even selling them. Mike O has made a couple plugs for molds. I have the molds made and then we offer those bodies as well. But I really cant stress how much this really is not a money making venture. I have lost literally thousands of dollars selling these bodies between tooling costs, shipping, driving all over hell and packaging. To give you an idea, i produce about 6 bodies per year of my "BEST" selling body with the exception of the limited run of daytona coupe bodies we sold, which i may add, i lost a very large sum of money on due to me picking up 100% of the shipping tab to help a friend.

The time frame i mentioned is just to get a mold made, could be faster but from experience... time goes by much faster then you expect. I will have to pay for this and I will certainly never recoup the cost of it. Once the mold is made, it generally takes one to two weeks for me to ship a body.

I am definitely not complaining over here. If i did not want to do this, i simply would not. Just telling you guys the way it is in my shoes over here. I love this stuff and I will continue to invest in it for years to come. Well, as long as my wife lets me anyway... :lol:
very well said......
Insane Model Builder
M.R. Ogle

Post by M.R. Ogle »

I still want to see this one come to life! I think John Foster has the only one in existence at this time.

(Bumped year-old thread because someone PM'd and asked me about it)
Mike Casey
Legacy Member

Post by Mike Casey »

if the guy works out with the camaro, this one will go there too.
M.R. Ogle

Post by M.R. Ogle »

Ah, well... at least this body is safely back in the Museum's storage wing!!
Mike Casey
Legacy Member

Post by Mike Casey »

it is safe and it may come back out one day. Wierd thing is i had that other FE body for a couple years on lru available. It was a fantastic body and its the same one thats on my custom FE. The body was one of my best sellers... i sold one. The market for these things is HUGE. If i had only quite my full time job... :) LOL!!!!!
Attachments
P1020577.JPG
P1030285.JPG