Raco GN project

This is your place to post your restoration from start to finish. Factory built cars only. All others go in the home brew section.
cryo-tek
1/4 scale guru

Raco GN project

Post by cryo-tek »

I thought I would post some pictures of another rebuild that I’m working on. It’s a Raco GN that blew up all over my work table. It was sitting there, a full car and just like, boom it was in was a kit. :shock:
So I have been shaping, polishing and anodizing. I had to remake a few parts and modify others. :)

I wanted to anodize the shock bodies black but didn’t want the set screws in the spring collets tearing up the finish so I threaded the shock bodies. I also made some centering rings for the springs so that they wouldn’t rub on the shock body. I replaced the steel shafts with stainless steel shafts so that they won't rust again. I didn’t like the shocks banging agents the brass bushings in the ends so I have made some polyurethane bushings with steel sleeves in them. Like a full scale car. :wink:
Attachments
It just fell apart like this.......
It just fell apart like this.......
Here are the threaded shock bodies
Here are the threaded shock bodies
Shaped and polished A arms
Shaped and polished A arms
The parts before anodizing
The parts before anodizing
a4 parts 4.JPG
The anodized shocks
The anodized shocks
The anodized A arms
The anodized A arms
My pile of finished parts
My pile of finished parts
cryo-tek
1/4 scale guru

Re: Raco GN project

Post by cryo-tek »

The shock towers were a bit rough so I made up some new ones. They’ll be anodized red.
Attachments
a tower 80.JPG
cryo-tek
1/4 scale guru

Post by cryo-tek »

Here’s an update to my Raco GN rebuild.
I wasn’t able to find a pair of replacement frame rails so I made some replacements. I also made new front and rear bumpers as well as upper and lower plastic plates for the chassis.

The polyurethane bushings with steel sleeves didn't work out so the new shock bushings were machined out of black delrin. The shocks slide nicely on the delrin and don’t rattle like they did on the old brass ones.

I still have more parts to make and anodize before this one's finished but it’s getting closer. :)
Attachments
Raco GN red1.JPG
Raco GN red2.JPG
Raco GN red3.JPG
raco chassis.JPG
cryo-tek
1/4 scale guru

Post by cryo-tek »

I thought I would work on some of my unfinished projects this weekend so I got out the red anodized Raco :o . So far I have been able to get the back half together, extend the wires for the throttle/brake servo and covered them with some expando sleeve. It gives it a nice look and No extension cables needed! 8)

Next I need to install the backing plate for the rear brake, Make black delrin bushings for the shocks ( I don’t like the red ones) and anodized the front hubs. It’s looking good, I almost hate to sell it :( .
Attachments
raco 1.jpg
Raco 2.jpg
cryo-tek
1/4 scale guru

Post by cryo-tek »

Thanks Dream,
The more I look at it the more I like it. :)

It's full of the detail work that I like to do. I grooved the end of the control rods with the left hand thread, put spacers between the wheel bearings and used flanged hex head screws on all of the plastic parts so there would be more contact area under the screw. The new pivot shaft for the rear swing arms has been type 3 anodized. It’s a hard slippery surface. The list goes on……………

The fined rear cover was too in your face when it was just blasted aluminum so it got a black paint job. I had the fin tips dyed red but it looked to 70’s Bat Mobile for me. The red hex head cap screws gave a color to it. I think the front suspension parts are my favorite part of the car.

I just need to finish it so I can make room for the rest of the projects. :wink: :wink:
Domb1972
1/4 scale guru

Post by Domb1972 »

WOW!!!!! Cryo that is AWSOME DUDE!!!!! I really like it and yea the detail is amazing!!!!!

The tires and wheels those came from BRP? If so what size are they I am looking to buy a new set of wheels and tires for my GN . What kind of lid you gonna throw on that thing? Again Great work!!!!! :D :D :D :D :D
luv2flyrc

Post by luv2flyrc »

This is a great looking GN. I have followed Domb1972's build and yours with great admiration for a job well done.

I recently purchased a Raco GN from QSL that appears to have been sitting on a shelf for quite some time :lol: The first order of business was to get it running and making sure that everything was operational. Now that this has been done, its time to start taking it apart, cleaning, polishing the aluminum and painting the body.

Threads like yours help me to remember how beautiful these cars can be with a little elbow grease. :D
cryo-tek
1/4 scale guru

Post by cryo-tek »

Today I realized that I’ve not been posting pictures of my projects so I’m going to shoot some pictures and get them posted. Here’re some pictures of the finished chassis and a list of some of what I did to to it:

A new rear swing arm shaft was made from hard anodized aluminum rod. The hard anodize surface is stronger and slipperier that the bare aluminum rod that was used originally.

New shock bushings are made of delrin. The stock brass bushings were loose and would click as the car went over bumps in the road. (as if I’ll ever run it!)

Bottom aluminum plates are type 3 hard anodized to resist scratching incase someone were to run the car.

The sheet aluminum chassis is anodized red with red and black suspension components.

The black anodized shocks are threaded for ease of adjustment and to elimate the adjusting collars with the set screws that would mar the shock body. There are black collars under the red adjusting nuts that help keep the spring centered on the shock and prevent the spring from rubbing on and scratching the shock body.

The rear end is a stock Raco rear end with a Skellenger rear cover. The rear cover was painted bronze black so that it matches the color of the rear end. The cover screws are anodized red.

I added spacers in between the inner races of the rear axle bearings to prevent the bearing from being damaged by over tightening the screw that holds the hub onto the half shaft.

Rims are stock rims that have been dyed red.

The car has new old stock 6.5 x 3 rubber tires all the way around.

The throttle/brake servo has had the control wires replaced with new wires that reach down to where the receiver would be located. The wires were not spliced, they were replaced at the PCB. The wires are covered with expando sleeving to avoid abrasion.

All of the suspension control rods are anodized red with a black band on the one end to indicate that end has left hand threads.

There’s a lot of other cool things that were done to this car. As you look at it you’ll start to see them.
Attachments
1 Red side.JPG
2 Red side.JPG
3 Red side.JPG
4 Red front.JPG
5 Red Back rear bumper.JPG
6 Red Back rear cover.JPG
7 Red back.JPG
8 Red Back rear arms.JPG
9 Red bottom.JPG
10 Red bottom front.JPG
cryo-tek