QRS Rebuild/Restore

This is your place to post your restoration from start to finish. Factory built cars only. All others go in the home brew section.
deznuts84

QRS Rebuild/Restore

Post by deznuts84 »

I want to make it better but keep the org. feel to it.

Here is what I started with, it is in great shape but since its so old it needs a complete rebuild

So today I started the tear down to see what I'm working with, and I'm very happy to see its not in bad shape at all... it just needs some love ;)...

My plan is to have it media blasted to see what shapes the frame in is...Well this thing flew apart , I spent more time looking for my SAE tools :lol:...

Well this is what it looks like now

So before I started tearing this thing down I wanted to see if it started.... Well sadly its so old the primer bulb cracked when I pressed it... O well no big deal... Image

Ok now the funny part.... this thing is so big but it has the smallest shocks .... look they are so cute :lol:Image

My plan is to upgrade the shocks to some baja shocks, and the motor (haven't picked one out just yet ;) ).... I'm going to clean up the old motor and shocks and put them away... gotta keep the org. stuff..

I'll update this thread as this restore goes, thank you for looking and please comment !!!

-Derek
Pro Street
Legacy Member

Re: QRS Rebuild/Restore

Post by Pro Street »

Nice Score, :D

Mike really took care of you...the truck looks clean not much to restore...HPI shocks would look good on there...I to just scored a truck myself..not original, but then again I'm more of a custom person...in the process of redoing it myself too...

Nice truck and good luck with it...keep the pictures and progress updated...

Pro Street.... 8)
Attachments
New Era.jpg
NYCdragRacer
1/4 scale guru

Post by NYCdragRacer »

Pro Street wrote:Nice Score, :D

Mike really took care of you...the truck looks clean not much to restore...HPI shocks would look good on there...I to just scored a truck myself..not original, but then again I'm more of a custom person...in the process of redoing it myself too...

Nice truck and good luck with it...keep the pictures and progress updated...

Pro Street.... 8)
Now thats NICE!
I am not really a big fan of anything off road, even 1/4 scale, but Prostreet that is really trick looking! I like!!
deznuts84

Post by deznuts84 »

The thing I really want to upgrade is the rear end... What is a good one to get, and where can I get one ?

Thanks Guys for all the comments!!
Mike Casey
Legacy Member

Post by Mike Casey »

man, you really dug into that project!

quartermortar.com sells a very nice unit. Other then that your options are used on ebay. New era rears go in the $500-$600 range and skellengers run in the $600-$800 range.

One more option with some modification is using the RC4wd 1/5 scale rear ends. They are $300 but the ring and pinion on them look weak to me.
www.quarterscalelegends.com The Awesome history of 1/4 scale!!
deznuts84

Post by deznuts84 »

QSL wrote:man, you really dug into that project!

quartermortar.com sells a very nice unit. Other then that your options are used on ebay. New era rears go in the $500-$600 range and skellengers run in the $600-$800 range.

One more option with some modification is using the RC4wd 1/5 scale rear ends. They are $300 but the ring and pinion on them look weak to me.

Mike thank you so much for a great start!!... And yeah I did dive right into it, I'm so excited to have one I wanted to start right away..

As for the rear ends I'm going to take a look in the quartermortar one, (do you know the model # I should be looking for?)

I really like the New Era one... but finding them is kinda tuff .... But I'll keep on looking :)
Mike Casey
Legacy Member

Post by Mike Casey »

http://quartermortar.com/options.htm

Second one down the page. But email him john@quartermortar.com and tell him what you want to do and he can configure it that way and give you a price quote. The rears casting is much stronger then a skellenger and really do look as good. I know he has sold a few that were put into stadium trucks.
deznuts84

Post by deznuts84 »

QSL wrote:http://quartermortar.com/options.htm

Second one down the page. But email him john@quartermortar.com and tell him what you want to do and he can configure it that way and give you a price quote. The rears casting is much stronger then a skellenger and really do look as good. I know he has sold a few that were put into stadium trucks.

YOUR THE MAN!!

Thank you!!, I want to put a Race ported 30.5 4 bolt zenoah in it so I need a beefy rear end :)
deznuts84

Post by deznuts84 »

So a little update, still gathering parts... I did get some shock parts, I need to get some of the shock parts anodized blue but thats at a later date... This is the look I'm going for

They are Bilstein 5150..

This is what I have so far

The black end cap is going to be replaced with some Threshold Rezzies (real working remote reservoirs)... I'm sure I'm going to nail the look, I'll post up more soon
Mike Casey
Legacy Member

Post by Mike Casey »

slight upgrade over stock eh? LOL!!!!!!!! 8)

eagerly watching.
Mike Casey
Legacy Member

Post by Mike Casey »

any updates on this? would love to see what you have done so far!
deznuts84

Post by deznuts84 »

QSL wrote:any updates on this? would love to see what you have done so far!

Still on the hunt for some parts :), I hope to start really digging into it very soon..

Between work and the crazy amount of snow I have been dealing with, I haven't been able to do much with any of my RC's :(
deznuts84

Post by deznuts84 »

Hey Guys, wow its been a while since I updated this thread..

OK this weekend I wanted to start work on this badboy, I want to have it ready for summer..

So I reloacted the rear shocks and upgraded them to the HPI baja shocks, the reason behind this is that parts are allot easier to come by.. and since they are bigger they should soak up the bumps better...

I also finished the new trailing arm stops, and the rear end with the alum housings

Here are some pics :D

Next weekend I'm going to work on the front end, then after thats done I'm going to have to mount everything else up to make sure everything is 100%... Then I'm going to strip it back down and have the cage and the front arms media blasted and powder coated...

I'm going to try and get on here more to learn more and try and find those hard to find parts :)
Mike Casey
Legacy Member

Post by Mike Casey »

looking real good so far!
deznuts84

Post by deznuts84 »

Thank you, I know its a small start but its a start :)

I'm thinking about doing the body like the nissan/bud red,white, and blue body... Trying to stay old school... I just need to get some better pics