Early Camaro Body

This is your place to post your restoration from start to finish. Factory built cars only. All others go in the home brew section.
M.R. Ogle

Early Camaro Body

Post by M.R. Ogle »

Here's something I've been working on for a couple of weeks. Still rough, got a few details to refine and add, but here are the basics of my early Camaro body plug.

Tons of sanding and flaw-chasing to do, but I think the basic shape is 80% there.
cryo-tek
1/4 scale guru

Re: Early Camaro Body

Post by cryo-tek »

Very nice! This is what's needed around here, American cars. Will you be selling these, if so put me down for one.
M.R. Ogle

Post by M.R. Ogle »

Thanks, guys!

I 100% agree about the "Camaro, Cuda or Challenger" options. In fact, I'd like to get some feedback from everyone as to whether I should go ahead and add the Camaro Cowl Induction hood (it's just sitting on there right now) and wheel wells to this plug or not. If I do add those details (and a small spoiler, center-hood peak, and bumpers) it'll TOTALLY be a Camaro, but maybe the Mopar guys won't go for it?

To be a 'Cuda, I'd leave the hood flat but add maybe a "shaker" hood scoop, to be a Challenger you'd just have to add a little "hump" to the side peak over the rear wheels. I could easily draw up grille decals for all three cars.

Or do I just go full-speed-ahead and make it pure Camaro and let the Mopar guys sand off or bondo on their own details? This is why I'm showing the plug at this early stage, I'd like to build something versatile enough that the maximum number of Q-Scale enthusiasts could use!

Waddya think?
dakota9576

Post by dakota9576 »

Go with the 67 Camaro. I would take one for sure when there ready ! ! !

Brian
Mike Casey
Legacy Member

Post by Mike Casey »

i think for sure you should do the cowl hood and wheelwells.
www.quarterscalelegends.com The Awesome history of 1/4 scale!!
M.R. Ogle

Post by M.R. Ogle »

Well, when the guy who OWNS a Challenger says "Go Camaro" that pretty much seals the deal for me.

Okay, I'm off to Lowe's for some more wood glue.
CALracing
1/4 scale guru

Post by CALracing »

I asked a friend of mine that is a body man and he said start with the simplest of the three and make a mold then add or take off what you need two accomplish the second and the same to get the third. Then you have them all. Looks great Mike. I would like a Cuda. Geoff
M.R. Ogle

Post by M.R. Ogle »

Oooohh... maybe I'll add a bumper/beak to it and make this...
Attachments
1969pf.jpg
1969pf.jpg (23.27 KiB) Viewed 7615 times
Pro Street
Legacy Member

Post by Pro Street »

M.R. Ogle,

WoW!...thats sweet....

I would like to see you do the Camaro with hide-away headlights....

have to watch the window post, if they lay back to far you will have to modifie the tube chassis to make it look correct..

what are you going to make the wheel base?...

Very Nice..

Pro Street.... 8)
M.R. Ogle

Post by M.R. Ogle »

The wheelbase is going to be 25.50". Seems to work for most everybody that way:

http://www.quarterscalelegends.com/bb/v ... f=2&t=2133

Of course, you can "fudge" your wheelwell cutouts a bit closer or further apart depending on what chassis you use. I'm adding flares, but not cutting out the wells.
M.R. Ogle

Post by M.R. Ogle »

Those are just cardboard templates pinned on for reference.

I'm not cutting out the wheelwells. I'm going to do them like the 1:10 scale guys mold them, i'll just add some flares.

BY the way... what diameter are the average 1:4 street tires? I just have dragsters with "big-n-littles" myself.
cryo-tek
1/4 scale guru

Post by cryo-tek »

M.R. Ogle,
You could get your plug to a generic point and pull a mold from it. You could then finish the first plug as a Camaro and use the generic mold to make a second plug. The second plug could be made using plaster and foam. The second plug could then be made into a Cuda. The third plug could be a? :wink:
I currently have three plugs and my generic mold. One of the copy plugs is plaster and foam and another is just foam. If I screw up a plug I just make another one. It’s amazing what you’ll try if you don’t have much to loose. :roll:

Use lots of mold release!!! I use the green stuff for the foam plug and vaseline for the plaster plug. Clean the vaseline out of the mold real well! It will stop some foams from rising. :o :cry:

That's my two cents :) :wink:
Pro Street
Legacy Member

Post by Pro Street »

M.R. Ogle,

{BY the way... what diameter are the average 1:4 street tires? I just have dragsters with "big-n-littles" myself.}

I run Mickey Thompson Sportsman S/R Tire, 30x15.00x15 on my 63 Nova street rod...

Pro Street.... 8)
Pro Street
Legacy Member

Post by Pro Street »

M.R. Ogle,

I'm sorry, they are....., 29x15.00x15,....not 30x15.00x15

Pro Street....
M.R. Ogle

Post by M.R. Ogle »

Interesting... but that's not what I was inquiring about.

Like a BRP 1:4 scale street tire, 17.5 to 18" circumference? Is that the most common tire size? Approx 5.5" diameter?

http://math.about.com/library/blcirclecalculator.htm