My RACO GN BUILD

This is your place to post your restoration from start to finish. Factory built cars only. All others go in the home brew section.
Domb1972
1/4 scale guru

My RACO GN BUILD

Post by Domb1972 »

Hi yall

I like to post builds so I am going to post my Raco build here. I got the car in pretty good shape like most it was sitting for years . My plan I have the car tore down I took the plastic chassis pieces to the machine shop and having the upper and lower made out of aluminum the top plate will be .80 thich to save on weight the bottom plate will be 1/8th" . I am Also have the rear motor mount/shock tower made out of aluminum . The reason I am doing this is becuase I want to go with a bigger motor not sure what motor yet. I am going to have the chassis and side rails and side pods all powder coated in yellow and everything else is getting polished out.

The car how I bought it

The Car tore down

The parts I have done so far I put a shock in the pic so you can see the condition and what I had to go thru to get the shocks polished out . I also got the front servo mounts polished out as well.

More to come :)

Thanks Dom
Domb1972
1/4 scale guru

Re: My RACO GN BUILD

Post by Domb1972 »

Got my parts over to the powder coat shop today, he says they will be done this friday :)
Domb1972
1/4 scale guru

Post by Domb1972 »

Thanks Funky Monk , Well just about got all the rear of the car polished out still got a few pieces to go but should have it done by this week-end. It is very labor intensive but the finished results are AMAZING !!! :D The flash on my camara dulls the parts but I assure you they are nice and shiney :D

I have ran into some curve balls, If your gonna use oven cleaner to get of anodizing dont forget about it. I put my shock jam nuts in a bowl and forgot about them overnight and the next day the cleaner ate away at the aluminum they were wasted!!! So took a trip over to FASTENALL and they are ording me new Jam Nuts as well as all new Aluminum screws and nuts and washers as well as all new bearings.

I have to pick up my parts from the powder coating shop tomorrow (will be dropping off the rear trailing arms ) and I plan on swinging by the wifes work and seeing what it will coast to have the rear transmission cases done in aluminum, I was talking to my wife's boss last night and he said he would take care of me since I have decided to go nuts on this car LOL LOL So hopefully I will be selling these as well. I even have him interested in a side biz my company will be RESURECTED RC. The rear shock mount and the cases can be used on any Raco so should do well on those to start. Then I am going to have the side rails did :D Anyway back to the build.

I used a number of tools on the polishing I purchased a buffer/polisher ,extra wheels, brown and white polish, sand paper, and to get in the cracks and crannys I had to buy some polishing wheels for my dremel (that sucks) I am looking for a adapter for my buffer so I can attach a CONE buffing wheel would make things alot faster and easier. I followed the instructions on YOUTUBE (there is a ton of videos on how to polish) I Am new to this polishing thing but I have to say it is labor intensive but can be done with a minimal investment (I am invested about ($200.00 bucks in tools and supplies) but I can use these on future builds.

Some how my first trade on this site got alittle mixed up I traded Venomuss my hubs,spindels and outdrives for a volosity stack and front shock mount kit seems we both got our lines crossed he was exspecting a set of hubs when infact I had 3 front and 1 rear he did not see the corrected ad and I was exspecting a front shock mount kit for a GRAND NATIONAL and he sent me a front shock mount for a jack rabbit. (no hard feelings he shipped out right away) So I still need 1 front shock mount piece or a kit. I will be selling the front shock mount kit I have no need for it, next build is gonna be a sprint car.

Well will post pics of my powder coated parts tomorrow when i pick em up......TO BE CONTINUED

Thanks Dom
Domb1972
1/4 scale guru

Post by Domb1972 »

Bummer the powder coater says my parts just got back from the sand blaster and wont be done till next week :(

and on top of that fastenall called this morning and said they could not get the screws and in alum. but they got the bearings so will have my wife order them from her work mcmaster car or somthing like that .

Well still got more polishing to do
cryo-tek
1/4 scale guru

Post by cryo-tek »

Bummer! I was looking forward to seeing some powder on a Raco. :(

It’s looking good. Don’t be afraid to take a file and sandpaper to your parts to round out the sharp edges. The front A arms can really benefit from a little or a lot of rounding of the corners. Here are the ones I did. I got a little carried away with these.

Check out this thread… This will restore the finish on your dog bones, rear axles and other steel parts.
http://www.quarterscalelegends.com/bb/v ... f=19&t=724
Attachments
a untitled.JPG
Domb1972
1/4 scale guru

Post by Domb1972 »

Hey Cryo

I know I was so bummed out I wanted to see em , We went with safety yellow its a briter color not a drab yellow so I cant wait . But the powder coater said the parts have to be clean so they had apint and anodizing on em so they had to get sand blasted and he sent them out for that guess he thought his guy would have gotten them back to him sooner but no he just got em back today I was out the door at 8:00 headed to Manteaca and somthing told me I should call and when I did I got the bad news :(

Those parts you did look AWSOME !!! Did you use a belt sander to round your edges or grinder? how did you get em even? they look great. I am almost ready to move to the front of the car I have like once piece to finish up on the back of the car Then I will be going after the a-arms,front hubs,etc...

Thank for the tip on the steel I polished out my dog bones (see pic) can I still add Oil over the shiny finish? I also polished out the drive cups and axles as well. I am polishing everything I can and if I can polish it then its getting powder coated. :D

Dom
Venomusss
1/4 scale guru

Post by Venomusss »

Dom, The GN is coming along great! Yes, our trade was a bit mixed up..... lol
Domb1972
1/4 scale guru

Picked up my Powder coated parts today!!! check em out

Post by Domb1972 »

Well they got my parts done today , I am STOKED! I think they turned out PERFECT! I dropped off the rear swing arms and the 2 bars says those should be done in a couple of weeks .

Did not get much done this week-end but plan on finishing up the polishing this week. Now just waiting on the machine shop to get my upper and bottom plate and shock tower then I can start rebuilding. :D

Thanks Dom
Domb1972
1/4 scale guru

Post by Domb1972 »

Got the parts back from the powder coaters today They turned out AWSOME!!!!

I dropped off the rear swing axles and the bars should have those done in a couple of weeks :D :D :D
Domb1972
1/4 scale guru

Post by Domb1972 »

And my wife just surprized me they got my front bumper brackets made they look better then the original :D :D :D :D The gold one is the original it came with the extra parts I got with the car . I will get these polished out this week.

Coming along :D

Thanks Dom
Domb1972
1/4 scale guru

Post by Domb1972 »

Hey Venomuss I got your PM and yea I really cant use the front shock mount kit so the Shock kit is on its way back to you my wife is sending it UPS Ground I will post the tracking info when she gets home today. Check your PM. I am not really sure what this stuff is worth so Ill ask here what do yall think 3 front hubs,1 rear hub, 2 front spindels, and 2 out drives (axles the dog bone goes into on the hub side) are worth?

I got a new plain aluminum volosity stack for a G2D from venomuss so how much more cash is fair for all those parts mentioned above?

Thanks Dom
Domb1972
1/4 scale guru

Post by Domb1972 »

Venomuss (Chris) and I made a deal I would trade him some parts for some parts anyway thier was a small mix up on the parts I needed and Venomuss Stepped up and made it right . He is a very stand up guy !!! No worries with this dude!!!!! Thanks Venomuss!!!!!!!

Now back to my build

I got the transmission tore down and rebuilt I had to replace the gears now I see why I got a extra pair in the parts guess they were bought and never replaced. I used lithium brake caliper grease it has a very high temp rating . I also got those new front bumper brackets polished out as well as the fuel fill bracket and the bottom chassis plate. I now have everything on the car polished except the front end will tackle that today. I am thinking I might have the rear plate that the gear cover bolts to powder coated yellow , I polished it out but thinking it might look better if I powder coat it and the front plate that goes over the top of the chassis plate. At least that way it will have a nice balance of yellow thru out the car.

Thanks Dom
Venomusss
1/4 scale guru

Post by Venomusss »

FuNkY mOnK wrote:This is going to be a very unique ride. Dom I think you have to be extremely careful with the powder coated side rails as they bend very easy and could cause the paint to crack while assembly. Sweet job!
Is my powder coating guy lying to me????? I just had some springs for the shocks powder coated because the guy told me the powder coat would not come off. He powder coated a piece of aluminum rod and started twisting it into a spiral to prove his point. Does it get harder and more brittle after some time?
Venomusss
1/4 scale guru

Post by Venomusss »

FuNkY mOnK wrote:I'm going strictly from what I've seen with frames where some had bent by accedent there were spider web cracks.
To be honest I found it a little hard to swallow when he told me It would not come off the spring. We shall see what happens... :D
Domb1972
1/4 scale guru

Post by Domb1972 »

I was told it would not come off and got a warranty :D if it does he will redo em Thanks Dom