Carbon Fiber instead of plastic

This is your place to post your restoration from start to finish. Factory built cars only. All others go in the home brew section.
RC_Rocks

Carbon Fiber instead of plastic

Post by RC_Rocks »

So here's what I'm thinking! I'm in the process of re-building a Raco GN I just purchased (see Raco - antique store find thread under Members Rides). I have it all torn down and am contemplating replacing the plastic upper and lower plates with CNC carbon fiber. Has anyone done this? What are your thoughts on weight savings VS. strength?
I'm in Northern California and would be looking for someone with a CNC router capable of handling 2'X4' or less, sheets of carbon fiber. Let me hear your ideas please. I've seen a couple of re-build threads where guys have used aluminium to re-place the plastic. Being an old RC guy I have plenty of small parts made out of carbon fiber. I was really excited about the weight savings. I can just imagine how beautiful the frame would be with colored carbon fiber and polished aluminum parts, not to mention how damn fast it would be.
Attachments
DSCF0121(1).jpg
DSCF0122 (1).jpg
Kaye
1/4 scale GOD

Re: Carbon Fiber instead of plastic

Post by Kaye »

I like these 'side pod' Raco cars. I had one once and I wish I still had it. It'll look very cool and updated with those carbon fiber replacement parts, although there may not be much of a weight saving.

If you just want the look, how about cutting some parts out of thick Lexan and covering them with a carbon fiber wrap (80% of the fun for 20% of the cost). Easy to drill, actually use a tapered reamer, you'll know what I mean. Just my 10 cents worth.

Have fun.
Mike Casey
Legacy Member

Re: Carbon Fiber instead of plastic

Post by Mike Casey »

carbon is slightly heavier, but looks cool. No point in paying someone to cut. Super easy to do yourself.
www.quarterscalelegends.com The Awesome history of 1/4 scale!!