Re: Indy Roadster

This is your place to post your restoration from start to finish. Factory built cars only. All others go in the home brew section.
iggmon72
1/4 scale guru

Post by iggmon72 »

Hope you can see this...

http://www.vimeo.com/1800762
JariV

Post by JariV »

The one-way bearing in those are very prone to slipping and makes the unit non functional. How do I know? Well I used one for couple of weeks (maybe 5-10 starts overall) and it started slipping and I asked for replacement parts under warranty which I got and installed. Those started to slip after same small period of use and I decided to retire that system. Has been in my shelf ever since that time. Never used them again.

If you want it I can send it to you but I would advice you not to use them as the one-way is not a good idea. Your own idea sounds the best to me.

And Funky, its JARIV, not Jarvi :D
JariV

Post by JariV »

About your exhaust.... it looks scale and good like that but it will hurt the performance. I would strongly recommend you to up the diameter and use that pipe as a display-only. Are you using the stock style can on the engine? If you are then are you aware that the "cigarrette-box" can is the biggest downgrade of performance in these type of engines. I understand that the scale look does not allow big expansion chambers but is there a possibility for you to hide it out of sight and make the pipe section visible on the exterior only? A good tuned pipe will double the power compared to the stock can.
JariV

Post by JariV »

Wait a minute,
you have a 2-stroke engine and only a straight pipe coming out of it without an expansion chamber (= can) ?

So no tuned pipe of any kind? Well of course if 10mph is good enough then I understand.
JariV

Post by JariV »

Take a pic of the engine bay with the engine installed please. Let's see if that gives me any thoughts that might be of help.
JariV

Post by JariV »

One engine that would defo fit inside with no hassle and would really sound wild and be tucked completely under the bonnet with ease would be that 37cc rotary engine for sale here. It's nitro but with 5hp you would be able to get at least upto 50mph or so.

But then again if the price of that engine is anywhere over 1200$ then it's not worth it as 5hp is just not enough in my opinion for a heavy quarterscale. You can get better engines as new with spare parts available and easy to rebuild compared to the wankel-engine. And you will need good cooling for a "free airflow cooling" -engine opposed to flywheel blower -type.

How about this:
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products/57 ... e-SAIEG57T

Please remember the crank rotation direction which is counterclockwise when observed from the front. If you turned this backwards (prop bolt flange facing rearwards) then would it turn the driveshaft the correct direction?
JariV

Post by JariV »

Okay Funky, I understand.
JariV

Post by JariV »

Please tell me the max dimensions of the engine fitting into the compartment so I will wink you if I see a suitable one.
K
Legacy Member

Post by K »

Emilio:

Your Indy Roadster project is one of the best builds going at the moment. You do good work!

Lately I've hardly had any time for my 1/4 scale cars, seems I'm always battling the clock, I don't know where all the time goes. I'll drop you a PM.
showa

Post by showa »

For what you're doing, the straight pipe will be fine for your Roadster. Just watch the plug for too lean a burn.

I don't remember the size differences but a Honda 23cc 4-stroke would be a possibility for fit and I believe the Zenoah clutch housing will work with this motor. If not, it looks like an easy fix for your skills.

I think I might have some Honda engine tips from back in the day but they're for the 31cc 4-stroke motor that was used in the race trucks. If you'd like I'll try to find them again.

This build is fantastic.
Mike Casey
Legacy Member

Post by Mike Casey »

funky, i have one or two of these engines available. they are really big though.
www.quarterscalelegends.com The Awesome history of 1/4 scale!!
Mike Casey
Legacy Member

Post by Mike Casey »

thats the one, good memory!
Mike Casey
Legacy Member

Post by Mike Casey »

I have one here at work and just measured it. If you take off the gas tank it looks like about 7" x 8" x 8"
Mike Casey
Legacy Member

Post by Mike Casey »

I like what you have in there now. If you dont like how high the plug sits, convert it to glow. There are adapters you can get that will fit the spark plug hole and allow you to thread in a glow plug.
Mike Casey
Legacy Member

Post by Mike Casey »

Did he send the Jeron specials?