Large size Indy project.

This is your place to post your restoration from start to finish. Factory built cars only. All others go in the home brew section.
Bobby Dodger
1/4 scale guru

Re: Large size Indy project.

Post by Bobby Dodger »

Hey that's a cool project; very much worth doing. I race model yachts, one of which is the EC12 class; the plug for the original mold for their fiberglass hulls was the actual tank test model for a Charlie Morgan 12-Meter that was designed in the 60s but never built.

By the way I've got a Dooling Arrow, plus a Front Drive and a Dooling F if you need reference. There's a fellow who has fiberglass and carbon fiber Arrow bodies on ebay from time to time

Cheers
Rick F
Bobby Dodger
1/4 scale guru

Post by Bobby Dodger »

Well I guess Mike will chime in if this ought to go to "Other Scales" but here are a few of my tether cars
Dooling Arrow:
Dooling F:
Dooling Front Drive:
Keller-Kraft Kurtis Midget:
Edco Dart:
Don Edmunds:
McCoy Railton (rail car):

Most of these are 18" - 20" long. This is what led me to 1/4 scale, aarrgh. That's enough for now...
Did you get your tires for the Indy Roadster?

Cheers
Rick F
Bobby Dodger
1/4 scale guru

Post by Bobby Dodger »

Thanks Funky. I started with these about 10 years ago. When I was a kid my folks got me a Cox Mercedes racer (.049 powered tether car). I was getting out of motorcycle racing (too old, too slow :oops: ) and i decided to try to find one of them again and discovered the world of real tether cars built by hot rodders and racers. Never did buy the Mercedes racer but this led me to 1/4 scale a few years ago. Let me know if you need anything for reference

Cheers
Rick F
Bobby Dodger
1/4 scale guru

Post by Bobby Dodger »

I can't take credit for the paint on the Railton - that was done by Junior Nelson. But I have achieved similar patterns by laying strips of masking tape next to each other (width of tape = width of checker square), then cutting the perpendicular lines with an X-Acto blade and peel out every other square; you'll get the idea. Then paint the contrasting color and remove the remaining tape, wet-sand and finish with several coats of clear, wet-sanding between coats. Tedious but not hard.

PS the #14 Don Edmunds car was built by the real Don Edmunds, racer and builder of midgets and sprints, and stunning 1/4 scale midgets (and tether cars!).

Cheers
Rick F
Bobby Dodger
1/4 scale guru

Post by Bobby Dodger »

Sorry, I've been away from home today. My wheels are different from yours so I measured the track width, center of tire to center of tire. It is 5-7/8" both front and rear. I am sure anything you need to make is well within your capabilities, but you might like to know about these two sources for cars and parts:

http://www.tethercar.com/cars.html
http://www.tlctethercar.com/

Cheers
Rick F
yankee16

Post by yankee16 »

hi

wow amazing, i hope you post new pics and updates .... very nice :)