WCM IROC Camaro project.

This is your place to post your restoration from start to finish. Factory built cars only. All others go in the home brew section.
a187lbird
1/4 scale guru

Re: WCM IROC Camaro project.

Post by a187lbird »

I have had a good outcome using just acetone brushed on both pieces and clamped together . But do some research online just in case .
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together.
a187lbird
1/4 scale guru

Post by a187lbird »

Also I have heard of people using abs shavings and melting it it to bond pieces together
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together.
a187lbird
1/4 scale guru

Post by a187lbird »

I am so sorry to blow up your post like this but I just looked online and found people make stuff called ABS juice.

Take acetone (not nail polish remover, but pure 100% acetone) pour in glass container (keep in mind it does not take a lot of acetone) and keep putting abs shavings in it until no more abs will be dissolved or until it is the consistency you want. You will probably have to leave it over night.

Once that's done apply to the parts you want to bond, clamp and allow to dry over night.

I would do some practice pieces until you get the hang of it so you do not mess up that awesome body.
Take great care when messing with plastics and solvents when in liquid form it acts much like napalm so keep away from spark, flame or high heat and always do this in a well ventilated area.
Mike Casey
Legacy Member

Post by Mike Casey »

someone once told me there was a special plastic glue. Its black. Maybe epoxy. maybe a search with plastic welding glue will bring up some options. good luck.
www.quarterscalelegends.com The Awesome history of 1/4 scale!!
a187lbird
1/4 scale guru

Post by a187lbird »

Yeah the stuff Mike is talking about is called MEK it is almost exactly like "ABS Juice" its and epoxy made of Methyl Ethyl Ketone and Acetone I have used it on plumbing pipes it can be hard to find and is highly combustible. But acetone works the same way. MEK just provides extra plastic within the mixture making it an "epoxy".

(SCIENCE CLASS TIME)
Acetone reacts with the plastic causing a breakdown of the plastic bond also producing a thermal reaction melting the plastic (for lack of a better word "welding") the pieces together.
(END OF LESSON)

Who would have thought high school science class was going to be useful for something in my hobbies of today more than 15 years later?!?!
K
Legacy Member

Post by K »

Go here for everything you need to knwo about gluing plastics:

http://www.uhu.com/en/products/plastic- ... abb&step=0

Hope this helps.

K
a187lbird
1/4 scale guru

Post by a187lbird »

I have heard of uhu being great with plastics but I'm not sure it works on abs as desired, unless specifically says abs I wouldn't use it.
Mike Casey
Legacy Member

Post by Mike Casey »

this might be an interesting frame for it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/rc-drag-1-4th-s ... 4ac5d28ef3
K
Legacy Member

Post by K »

I used UHU Allplast to repair the ABS body shell of my Yankee Ferrari 330 P4. It worked very well.

K
a187lbird
1/4 scale guru

Post by a187lbird »

Instead of selling how about taking it to a boat repair shop.
All boat shops have either an in house plastic guy or someone they use for plastic repair, modification or reproduction.
I have done this at a local boat shop here in Miami (Precision Boat Repair I think it was) and they referred me to there plastic guy down the street the guy was more than happy to help (real funny old jamaican guy) and did it for dirt cheep just because he thought it was super cool, and it came out flawless. And part of payment was letting him drive my car around the parking lot. :D
He repaired two splits, cut out my wheel wells, and bottom trimming along with front, back, and side windows all for about 40 bucks.
Mike Casey
Legacy Member

Post by Mike Casey »

Now u know why I sold it. I did not have the balls either. Lol
fuzzymuff

Post by fuzzymuff »

Hi.Funky.
Your best bet would be to find an architectural modelling company...They would have all the expertise to do whatever you wanted,also at the quality you wanted...
Graham
gearhed

Post by gearhed »

Awesome- It's really cool that you are going ahead with the build. Have Fun!
CALracing
1/4 scale guru

Post by CALracing »

Looks Good ! Keep up the good work Funky :D
Mike Casey
Legacy Member

Post by Mike Casey »

looks excellent!! VERY nice!