Alodine PBS

This is your place to post your restoration from start to finish. Factory built cars only. All others go in the home brew section.
cryo-tek
1/4 scale guru

Alodine PBS

Post by cryo-tek »

I’ve always wanted to gold alodine an aluminum chassis 8) :) . Well this PBS chassis became my victim :evil: of some fun and now almost everything is gold, chassis, shocks,and shock nuts. The only things not gold are the bottom chassis plates. I did them in type 3 black anodize.

The gold alodine is much cooler that the gold anodize I’ve been doing. It has a pearl affect with blues and reds in it 8) . If you zoom in on the you can almost see it. It’s great in person!! Maybe some day someone will finish this one.
Attachments
DSC_0842.JPG
DSC_0843.JPG
DSC_0844.JPG
DSC_0845.JPG
Mike Casey
Legacy Member

Re: Alodine PBS

Post by Mike Casey »

love it!
www.quarterscalelegends.com The Awesome history of 1/4 scale!!
cryo-tek
1/4 scale guru

Post by cryo-tek »

Thanks! It looks better in person :wink: .
CALracing
1/4 scale guru

Post by CALracing »

What's the difference between to two processes?
Lovedr
Legacy Member

Post by Lovedr »

That car is going to be sweet. Great job. Cryo, did you build this from the parts lot that mike had? Either way it's very nice !!
cryo-tek
1/4 scale guru

Post by cryo-tek »

Hi CALracing,
Alodine is a dipped process. First you etch the aluminum then dip it into a bucket of the Alodine chemical. The Alodine only coats the surface of the aluminum with a thin surface barrier that prevents corrosion. I used the gold Alodine here but now I want to do the clear on something. It’s clear but with the pearl affect. 8)

Anodizing is a complicated electro-chemical process consisting of etching, building up an oxide layer, filling the pores of the oxide payer with die and then sealing the pores. Anodizing also penetrates the surface of the aluminum for a thicker barrier, and has the added effect of hardening the material.

Lovedr, This was made from a collection of parts. It’s not a real production PBS car. I have the rest of the parts to finish it, it’s just not high on the to do list. I may end up like the green and black one, someone else’s project. :)
Attachments
image5.jpeg
CALracing
1/4 scale guru

Post by CALracing »

Thanks for the info. Geoff