New guy- RACO Jack Rabbit Restoration and Issues

This is your place to post your restoration from start to finish. Factory built cars only. All others go in the home brew section.
jtherrien

Re: New guy- RACO Jack Rabbit Restoration and Issues

Post by jtherrien »

Hey guys, here's an update:

I bought and installed the new fan cover- the engine is all set to go.
I bought a clutch, but I'm still waiting on a piston stopper to replace it.
I disassembled the front shock towers- they are not bent and I don't need new ones. The chrome bar in between the towers (the top one) is bent, causing the towers to lean at different angles. I bent it back the best I could and put some washers under one tower to compensate. It looks like the vehicle was hung by this bar on a hook, causing it to warp over time.
I emailed the plastics company a couple of weeks ago but never got a response. I've temporarily gutted the clutch bell area of the gear case to a point where it is acceptable for use.
PTModIT
1/4 scale guru

Post by PTModIT »

PTModIT
1/4 scale guru

Post by PTModIT »

I just noticed the address is the same as GP Plastics. The price is not the same as their website (Higher). If it's the same seller.
jtherrien

Post by jtherrien »

Thanks for the links.

Clutch replaced tonight. Everything has been remounted on the chassis except for the gear case. I need a new steering servo horn and a battery charger (maybe a new TX/RX), and then I'll be all set to go.
jtherrien

Post by jtherrien »

Finally started her up to test the clutch setup. Everything is working great. The fan cover mounts seemed to support the engine enough to stop the original squeaking noise I mentioned- turns out it was the clutch grinding on the clutch bell at a weird angle. Nylon spacers and washers under the engine/gearbox mounting plate and fan cover. Brakes and throttle working great. All I need is the steering servo arm to be 100% RTR.

Any suggestions on flashy paint schemes? I have some spare sheet metal- considering fabricating my own sprint spoiler as well.