1/4 scale funnycar project

This is your place to post your restoration from start to finish. Factory built cars only. All others go in the home brew section.
mad62
1/4 scale guru

1/4 scale funnycar project

Post by mad62 »

hi guys,
heres some pics of my funny car project ive just started,it will run a 25 cc petrol engine(7 -71/2 hp),have a chromoly tube chassis,hydrolic disc brakes,and with the info you guys have provided so far,looks like a belt drive setup,the rear wing on the body will be carbonfiber,the body will be fiberglass (may do a carbonfiber body),looking at having Castrol GTX graphics,
These pics show the plug so far,bit hard to see the shape but once the plug is all one colour it should be easier to see,this is along the lines of the "force" body shape with a few of my own bits,eg supercharger recess/dogbox,etc
The wheel base will be 31.5 ",running 8" or 9" rears,want working chutes and a few other bits which i will show later on,
Attachments
DSC01799.JPG
DSC01805.JPG
DSC01802.JPG
DSC01803.JPG
Last edited by mad62 on March 27th, 2010, 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bentley marshall
1/4 scale guru

Re: 1/4 scale funnycar project

Post by bentley marshall »

looking good mate .....

heres a few web sites that might help for bits and bobs http://rcinnovations.co.nz/shop/catalog/index.php
http://www.smallparts.com.au/store/categories//
mad62
1/4 scale guru

Post by mad62 »

hi guys,
thanks for the comments and the links,as i have said there are a few bits ive used in my body shape which are along the lines of the force body style,the windows and roof line are slightly lower and wider,front wheel arches are lower,its still with the graphics on look close to there body but not 100% force scale body.
I plan on doing a few different bodys for my car,ive attached a pick of possibly the next body im looking at doing,this is my mates car and i have just finished repairing the glasswork on the car,im sure a few of you will know this car body straight away,this is a genuine body,one of 5 apparently,ex usa.

cheers mike
Attachments
simons drag car.jpg
mad62
1/4 scale guru

Post by mad62 »

heres a few more pics,getting there,another sand and final shaping and its ready for the molding process,

cheers mike
Attachments
DSC01819.JPG
DSC01815.JPG
DSC01814.JPG
bentley marshall
1/4 scale guru

Post by bentley marshall »

thats looks even better all one colour i might have to build one of these too :D
CALracing
1/4 scale guru

Post by CALracing »

Hey Mike, Its really looking good. If you do that 57 we will have to see about shipping one here. Geoff
mad62
1/4 scale guru

Post by mad62 »

bentley marshall wrote:thats looks even better all one colour i might have to build one of these too :D
hi bentley,
it would be good to have a few here,get some racing going on locally,

mike
mad62
1/4 scale guru

Post by mad62 »

CALracing wrote:Hey Mike, Its really looking good. If you do that 57 we will have to see about shipping one here. Geoff
hi geoff,
thanks for the comment,when i look at doing that body i will let you know,the one in the pic is a genuine "mongoose body",pretty cool looking car,

cheers mike
Bryant

Post by Bryant »

Mike that's COOL looking, Can you do a 77' chevy vega slant nose Funny Car body? Awesome work!!!!
Q/S FUNNY CAR
EASTEX EXPRESS
mad62
1/4 scale guru

Post by mad62 »

Bryant wrote:Mike that's COOL looking, Can you do a 77' chevy vega slant nose Funny Car body? Awesome work!!!!
hi bryant,
have you got any pics of one,im going to do a few bodies styles,so i might be able to do one especially if other guys may be interested too,

cheers mike :D
mad62
1/4 scale guru

Post by mad62 »

FuNkY mOnK wrote:How the heck do you guys make these bodies?
some foam,alot of cutting,sanding,filling and with my background in fairing and shaping boats its just another project,ive spent about 12 hrs on this so far,
i suppose if you have a passion for models with a bit of time and practice anyone can create there own bodys,

perhaps i could post a series of pics when i do another body next time,

cheers mike
Last edited by mad62 on March 31st, 2010, 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mad62
1/4 scale guru

Post by mad62 »

heres a few pics of what will be sticking out of the body once the car is completed,
this is the plug,once the mold is complete i will make a carbonfiber blower hat,with red anodised disc's,looking at hooking them up to the carb so they open when the throttle is used,

cheers mike
Attachments
DSC01831.JPG
DSC01830.JPG
DSC01834.JPG
M.R. Ogle

Post by M.R. Ogle »

Duuuuude....

:shock:

I sure hope you can make more than ONE of those buzzard-catchers. Hint, Hint....
mad62
1/4 scale guru

Post by mad62 »

M.R. Ogle wrote:Duuuuude....

:shock:

I sure hope you can make more than ONE of those buzzard-catchers. Hint, Hint....
hi mike,
i will make several as ive had a few emails about them already,soon as i get pics of the first one completed i will have a idea of costs and then if anyone is interested i can supply some,

cheers mike :D
Bryant

Post by Bryant »

Mad62 here are some pics of The slant nose Chevy Vega's and Chevy Monza.
Attachments
Vega Black Magic.JPG
Vega FC.JPG
Monza Funny.JPG
Monza Funny.JPG (37.92 KiB) Viewed 8256 times
Q/S FUNNY CAR
EASTEX EXPRESS