sprint car wings

This is your place to post your restoration from start to finish. Factory built cars only. All others go in the home brew section.
mplumb

sprint car wings

Post by mplumb »

I have been meaning to post some progress pics on my wings. Here ya go. Disregard the crappy side panels that came with this car, just taped to them to check the look. I intend to replace the top wing center with a correctly proportioned version (used WOO and ASCS rules for sizes and shapes) and accurate side panel braces. These cars are so close to the full scale but the wings just detract something from the realism, not on my watch, LOL. Wing tree and front mounts too, soon. Any ideas for rivets? I imagine I will have to use adhesives to assemble the wings and add something to look like rivets. I have seen decal sheets with raised bumps for modeling but I'm thinking 'more realistic'.
Attachments
IMG_0964.5.jpg
IMG_0962.5.jpg
IMG_0965.5.jpg
IMG_0964.5.jpg
IMG_0963.5.jpg
IMG_0961.5.jpg
IMG_0969.5.jpg
Al Gibson (QSL)
Legacy Member

Re: sprint car wings

Post by Al Gibson (QSL) »

very nice
mplumb

Post by mplumb »

Just an update on progress. I know, I took it to far ... Way better than those lame wing mounts that came with the car. Fairly accurate wing tree and even tried to duplicate the spuds that would mount the front stands on the cage. Note the twist in stands and accurate slides. The wing structure is just tapped together for fit, but will soon be solidified. I am getting excited to complete the wings, more to come.
Attachments
IMG_0973.JPG
IMG_0972.JPG
IMG_0970.5.jpg
Al Gibson (QSL)
Legacy Member

Are you interested in selling a set?
mplumb

Post by mplumb »

I have given it some thought, I want to see how this one turns out. I have a lot of time into it so I'm not sure I could build it for what anyone would be willing to pay.
Al Gibson (QSL)
Legacy Member

I would consider your cost, pls let me know. You have an awesome wing there, and i am building a 1980's WCM Sprint Car and would love to have a nice one on it. Al
Bobby Dodger
1/4 scale guru

Post by Bobby Dodger »

You could put me down for at least one set!

Cheers
Rick F
mplumb

Post by mplumb »

Thanks, keep following my progress.