RC4WD 1/4 scale axle conversion into a sprint car

This is your place to post your restoration from start to finish. Factory built cars only. All others go in the home brew section.
tamkyo

RC4WD 1/4 scale axle conversion into a sprint car

Post by tamkyo »

I recently purchased a 1/4 scale axle which is similar to a skellenger QC from RC4WD and have decided to try and fit the axle into my sprint car. This axle is considerably wider than I had hoped but I do believe it can be converted to fit most applications.

I know this conversion would be quite simple for many of you and will not be as simple for me, but for a price of $380.00 shipped to my door, I couldn't resist trying.

The axle is really quite impressive on its own being fully machined and not cast.

The first thing I did was removed the stock axle from the car.

tamkyo

Re: RC4WD 1/4 scale axle conversion into a sprint car

Post by tamkyo »

tamkyo

Post by tamkyo »

Next I removed the steering knuckles, uprights and axles from the rear end.

Next was to mount the axle. So I have run into my first two issues with the axle.

Issue number 1 - The axle tubes are screwed from the inside of the pumpkin cups to hold the bearings which the steel axle shafts spin on. If this wasn't the case, I would have removed and discarded the tubes all together and used bird cages to mount the steel axle similar to a skellenger I guess. I don't have the ability to machine these tube so I have decided to use them.

Issue number 2 - The axle comes with only two mounts. Since I need to mount an upper link and a lower link, I really need four mounts. I decide to split the two mounts to create four mounts. I will use spacers off the hub on the end of the axle tube ( spacers are not made yet ) and this should allow me to mount the axle.

Al Gibson (QSL)
Legacy Member

Post by Al Gibson (QSL) »

Man that is real nice!!!
Emilio
1/4 Scale Legend!

Post by Emilio »

Is there any way of modify the tube using only the threaded portion and outer end bearing exposing the 1/2 axle for the bird cage, I think this would total 3 bearing per side or not :?
garyg

Post by garyg »

any new info here??
sprintcarracer

Post by sprintcarracer »

garyg wrote:any new info here??
Well I seem to be on the same project you are on but I may go on with a skelly and use this rear end in a drag project I have going as well, after studying this your rear is sticking out more than it should I think by the way things look on mine we are going to have to figure out how to keep the axle from coming out because there is nothing there to hold it in my studying this is cut a slot in the axle and put a e clip there but I was looking at some other thoughts on this as the one part removed to get the axle more car attachable this part will need to be cut rite before the slope this could hold a bearing and e clip as well I will post some pics here as soon as I get to this point still studying this don't even have the rear end in the car yet to much money to just go cutting but I think it can be done :shock: the threaded part with the uv joint could be used for a drive shaft it fits the out put shaft perfectly this is what I will use ether way I go drag or sprint but will show you some pics as I get there and help Thanks
sprintcarracer

Post by sprintcarracer »

Okay as studying this I have seen the rear does match the same width as the front end try and show some pics how do I post pics here I have a couple to show Thanks
sprintcarracer

Post by sprintcarracer »

Okay I have this figured out, yes there will be some cutting, you will use the same set up with the bearing casters used on the straight axle set up I will do up some drawings to show this I will use my axle in my drag project but will be buying another burn out to use in this set up I will be drawing up it will be very simple and will hold your axle shafts from slipping out this way they will be held in place. Thanks Jim
Maxwell

Post by Maxwell »

Hello I just got the Yota 1/5 axles.. I’m wondering where to find four link parts or leaf spring parts along with chassis, drive lines, transmission/transfercase, and a big enough electric motor to push them. Thank you
Maxwell

Post by Maxwell »

I just got the Yota 1/5 axle and I’m wondering where to get parts. Drive train parts, electric motor, transmission/transfercase, four link suspension or leaf springs, and drive line to fit. Thank you and awesome build
Maxwell

Post by Maxwell »

I just got the Yota 1/5 axle and I’m wondering where to get parts. Drive train parts, electric motor, transmission/transfercase, four link suspension or leaf springs, and drive line to fit. Thank you and awesome build