Another sprint car find

This is your place to post your restoration from start to finish. Factory built cars only. All others go in the home brew section.
big maestro
Legacy Member

Re: Another sprint car find

Post by big maestro »

Alot of racers used plastic radius rods. Delrin and nylon most commonly. It was strong but would flex instead of bend in a crash
RcBurnout
1/4 scale guru

Post by RcBurnout »

Making some nerf bars. I know there not Proto-typical on this frame but I wanted them. Gonna tack everything up to see what they look like. If I don't like them there garbage bound. Lol
RcBurnout
1/4 scale guru

Post by RcBurnout »

Nerf bar pics
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
RcBurnout
1/4 scale guru

Post by RcBurnout »

Nerf bars fabrication complete. Just tacked up. Gonna eye ball it a while and see if I like them. But they are growing on me. And my tires look freeeekinnnnn awesome on this thing. I'm starting to see her now. She lives to race another day
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Bobby Dodger
1/4 scale guru

Post by Bobby Dodger »

Nice job on the nerve bars. I am liking this car
RcBurnout
1/4 scale guru

Post by RcBurnout »

Thanx Bobby. It's coming along. I can't wait till she's done. But at the same time I hate it when there done if you can understand that. I love building these things.
RcBurnout
1/4 scale guru

Post by RcBurnout »

Mock up headers in place. These are for placement only. Starting a new set for the car. These will be the actuall exhaust. Will see.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
RcBurnout
1/4 scale guru

Post by RcBurnout »

Inching foward...... Frame Primed and painted......painting the inserts to match the frame .... I'll let the frame set for a week. Wet sand and put a couple more coats on it. Then clear it.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
CALracing
1/4 scale guru

Post by CALracing »

Looks great !
RcBurnout
1/4 scale guru

Post by RcBurnout »

Did some front end work today. Decided not to use the Skellenger front axle that came with the car as a spare. It went in the skellenger hoard pile lol. Had a spare old new stock axle in the parts bin and used the other parts that came with the car. Lot of clean up. Chased threads. All good thank the lord. Sanded and polished the aluminum parts. Need some new fasteners but it's pretty much there.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
RcBurnout
1/4 scale guru

Post by RcBurnout »

Next phase. Rear components. Shine , inspect threads, chase threads , if threads are bad replace parts, and install.... Gonna use the graphite axle on this one. I've been saving it.. New old stock never used power plant and transmission as well. Also gonna replace the front torsion bars up front. One is the bent style and one is the straight style. So new ones for that.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
RcBurnout
1/4 scale guru

Post by RcBurnout »

big maestro wrote:Alot of racers used plastic radius rods. Delrin and nylon most commonly. It was strong but would flex instead of bend in a crash

Thanks for that information. I did not know that. I'm gonna refurbish them and keep them with the car. This site always produces some of the best info around. So. I guess I'll publicly announce I've thrown them away in the past. Arrrrrggggggghhhhh
RcBurnout
1/4 scale guru

Post by RcBurnout »

Just a shine day... All the threads are good on the rear parts. So. Buff. Buff buff. I decided to go with the aluminum axle. I'll save the graphite one for the next build
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
RcBurnout
1/4 scale guru

Post by RcBurnout »

Started dry fitting the rear. See if it's all gonna go togather smooth. Well. Nope.... 2 set backs. One self induced ... In my mad rush to paint the frame I forgot to fabricate the tank guard to match the nerf bars. No biggy but I need to weld the guard holders on the rear of the frame so wasted paint job. Great. And since I'm checking parts for usability as I go. Dumb ideal. The aluminum blocks to mount the radius arms for the rear are trashed. And. Unreal. I have no spares left. Go figure. Great. Now instead of assembling this weekend I'm disassembling , fabricating , sanding and painting again. Aaarrrrrgggghhhh
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
RcBurnout
1/4 scale guru

Post by RcBurnout »

She's on all 4s by herself. . I'm never gonna install the birdcage in the car last. What a pain. Easy day today.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg