Gilmer gearbox and engine project

This is your place to post your restoration from start to finish. Factory built cars only. All others go in the home brew section.
Emilio
1/4 Scale Legend!

Re: Gilmer gearbox and engine project

Post by Emilio »

WOW Kaye I would have never known? I don't think painting it would rune it any.
Kaye
1/4 scale GOD

Post by Kaye »

Emilio: I think painting the engine blue adds to the vintage look. It's the sort of finish I could imagine Webra offering back in the day as a special enhancement. Webra AMG?
Emilio
1/4 Scale Legend!

Post by Emilio »

Everything cleaned as best I could and engine painted, waiting for new timing belt before I could assemble.

My problem with this build is going to be a clutch system, I could go direct drive and be done with it but won't be able to stay idle.

If anyone could please post a photo of Jeff's Pacsetter sprint with the nitro, I'm sure he had a clutch on his nitro? I could use a better shot of Gilmers twin saito clutch system also. and as always if you have a solution or idea it would be great! 8) Thanks all.
Attachments
web eng 1.jpg
web eng 2.jpg
Kaye
1/4 scale GOD

Post by Kaye »

Saito here you go .....
Attachments
gilmer00003.jpg
gilmer00002.jpg
gilmer00001.jpg
Kaye
1/4 scale GOD

Post by Kaye »

Pacesetter ....
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-09-05 at 1.04.36 PM.png
Kaye
1/4 scale GOD

Post by Kaye »

More Pacesetter (another car) ....
Attachments
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600 (8).jpg
s-l1600 (7).jpg
s-l1600 (6).jpg
Kaye
1/4 scale GOD

Post by Kaye »

Even another Pacesetter ....
Attachments
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600 (9).jpg
s-l1600 (8).jpg
s-l1600 (7).jpg
s-l1600 (6).jpg
s-l1600 (5).jpg
Emilio
1/4 Scale Legend!

Post by Emilio »

Kaye perfect photos of the pacesetter that I have never seen! Looking at one setup of the multiple pacesetter drive-line, I think I know what Jeff meant by "2 stage clutch system" I believe he had the modified clutch bell secured to the QC rear, in my case Gearbox, and the Centrifugal clutch shoes secured to the crankshaft, then line them up? This might work or correct me if I'm wrong all together? Either way I think this system isn't far fetched?
Kaye
1/4 scale GOD

Post by Kaye »

[quote=I believe he had the modified clutch bell secured to the QC rear, in my case Gearbox, and the Centrifugal clutch shoes secured to the crankshaft, then line them up? This might work or correct me if I'm wrong all together? Either way I think this system isn't far fetched?[/quote]

Emilio:

Yes, this set-up should work well enough.
Emilio
1/4 Scale Legend!

Post by Emilio »

What I think I can do is get a steel clutch bell, cut the collar as I can't find one at 9.55 mm and weld a 9.55mm collar to fit the gearbox shaft? Anyway, here is the engine with new timing belt ready to go!

Kaye if you feel comfortable to give me your mailing address I could send you a new timing belt for your webra T4, I don't need three.
Attachments
web belt1.jpg
web eng finished1.jpg
Emilio
1/4 Scale Legend!

Post by Emilio »

Hey folks I finally figured something out. After looking at the Pacesetter clutch setup a few times, it struck me that this might be a setup in relation to the RC helicopters.

I had this old schulter helicopter that I was going to restore but I knew that I would never get around to it or fly it. So this evening I tore it down and was very pleased at what I found, an O.S 61 engine with a heat sink and a robust clutch system.

The engine and clutch systems fits perfect under the hood and I won't have to touch the body or chop up the chassis! I will only need to drill a few holes, fabricate an exhaust and engine mounts. Gearbox will sit under the seat housing.

My plan is to cut down the long shaft shown in the photos only up to the clutch bell gear as this is needed to ride on the inner bearing, once evrything is in place I will then locate a coupler to join the clutch bell and gearbox. The rest will be a breeze as I will only need to locate the sprockets and chain for the final puzzle and then take apart the engine, clean, lube and polish. Hope you enjoy the project :)
Attachments
os clutch 1.jpg
os clutch 2.jpg
os clutch 3.jpg
os clutch 4.jpg
os clutch 5.jpg
os clutch 6.jpg
os clutch 7.jpg
Emilio
1/4 Scale Legend!

Post by Emilio »

Getting closer to the finish line! received the shaft couple to join the gearbox and clutch bell together, small sprocket for the gearbox, large sprocket for the rear axle and 1/4" pinch chain. Everything fits like a glove. Next I will dissemble the car and start placing all components. Lastly I want to install a hydraulic brake system. At the end of the project I will list all parts numbers and price and hope this will help others. Hope you enjoy :)
Attachments
GB drivetrain.jpg
Kaye
1/4 scale GOD

Post by Kaye »

Emilio wrote:
Kaye if you feel comfortable to give me your mailing address I could send you a new timing belt for your webra T4, I don't need three.
Emilio: Of course I'm comfortable. Thank you very much for your kindness, I'll email you my address.

Kaye
Kaye
1/4 scale GOD

Post by Kaye »

Emilio: What a project! It's all come together so very well, and remarkably quick.

Kaye
Emilio
1/4 Scale Legend!

Post by Emilio »

Thanks Kaye, the biggest challenge of this project (and not being nasty) was pulling teeth and digging for information. After I'm done with this the next person with a "u-finish" Gilmer model should have a better understanding doing one, this is the goal of all my projects.