Gilmer gearbox and engine project

This is your place to post your restoration from start to finish. Factory built cars only. All others go in the home brew section.
Emilio
1/4 Scale Legend!

Gilmer gearbox and engine project

Post by Emilio »

Hey folks, there are going to be a few threads on Gilmer's 1:4 scale midget racer that were purchased after the Kawasaki engines, which means if you haven't got an old school Gilmer complete, chances are you purchased what is now called "U-finish models" These models are exactly like the originals minus engine and some sort of driveline.

There is a thread already started on a Gilmer from rcgarage berlin which in my opinion is for the advanced CNC fabricator, but nonetheless shows how involved it will be to get these cars completed beyond your standard 1:4 scale.

Hopefully in weeks to come I will do my best to incorporate hardware that Gilmer himself used on his first prototype midget starting with the gearbox and then some sort of nitro engine, Abitar twin cam or saito twin 90, both possible application with couplers to hook it all together from the gearbox manufacturer and then onto the axle sprocket and chain or cogs and belts.

Hopefully this all comes together in a few simple straight forward steps with minimal if any body and chassis cuts. Hope you enjoy and input always welcomed! 8)
Attachments
gil1.jpg
gil3.jpg
Kaye
1/4 scale GOD

Re: Gilmer gearbox and engine project

Post by Kaye »

Great project.
Emilio
1/4 Scale Legend!

Post by Emilio »

Thanks Kaye, your idea about using a clutch from the helicopters might work if needed. I will dig out my Shulter to see how it ties together.
Kaye
1/4 scale GOD

Post by Kaye »

Here's another idea. How about considering a Webra T4 series engine, I have a T4 60 and it's a very well made (in Austria) 4 stroke engine. If you want something a little bigger there's the Webra T4 91. These come up for sale every now and then on eBay.

Kaye
Emilio
1/4 Scale Legend!

Post by Emilio »

Kaye can you give me the dimensions of the T4-60?
Kaye
1/4 scale GOD

Post by Kaye »

Emilio: I'l take a picture and dimension it tomorrow.

Kaye
Kaye
1/4 scale GOD

Post by Kaye »

Some dimensions.
Attachments
IMG_3305.JPG
Kaye
1/4 scale GOD

Post by Kaye »

More
Attachments
IMG_3306.JPG
Kaye
1/4 scale GOD

Post by Kaye »

Two more views (not dimensioned)
Attachments
IMG_3307.JPG
IMG_3308.JPG
Emilio
1/4 Scale Legend!

Post by Emilio »

Thanks Kaye I'm watching a T4 60 on ebay, I'm also looking at a Evolution 33 gasoline engine with pump carburetor, I'm waiting for the dimensions from the seller, if it's to big I can go with the 20 series. But I love this 33 series to death! But I have to keep in mind that I do not want to cut the body at all.

Also on another note, this Gilmer I just purchased is the last one Jan is making, I know we heard this many times, but I think this is the last one, This one was given to his grandson but they would rather have the money from this car for collage, I think it's a special car nonetheless at least for me.
Attachments
evolution 33.jpg
20170824_205327[535].jpg
Emilio
1/4 Scale Legend!

Post by Emilio »

Hey folks. fortunately I was able to get a Abitar DOHC engine from a gentleman named John from upstate New York, who contacted me just before I was going to pull the trigger on another engine that I'm sure I would have not liked when it was in my hands, BUT, this Abitar is a whole different animal as far as nitro engines go, it is complete with electronics, and has hardly no run time, I'm very happy!

My plan is to fit this engine below the aluminum floor board and possibly below the fiberglass belly shown in the profile photo but I'm planning not to go that low. If succeeded it will look pretty realistic and true to scale from underneath as it will under the hood, I couldn't think of another engine almost true to scale for a Gilmer car, In my opinion the zenoha and Kawasaki T series engine are much to bulky, I recommend a nitro engine if you are starting off like me. Again my opinion, you do what you like.

Hopefully I won't have to cut the upper body and hoping the velocity stack and exhaust will align to the existing opening in the sides. I'm waiting for the gearbox to arrive and only then I could start planing and won't be till I move into my new house in Oct. Hope you enjoy the progress!
Attachments
gil8.8.jpg
gil7.7.jpg
gil6.6.jpg
gil5.5.jpg
gil4.4.jpg
gil3.3.jpg
gil2.2.jpg
gil1.1.jpg
Kaye
1/4 scale GOD

Post by Kaye »

Emilio: It's the perfect engine for this model car!
Kaye
1/4 scale GOD

Post by Kaye »

Emilio: My Abitar (serial number 920467) doesn't have any electronics. I'm wondering if your's is a later model. Can you post a close up picture of the electronics?

Thanks,
Kaye
Emilio
1/4 Scale Legend!

Post by Emilio »

Kaye: I have serial number 910263. I don't know if the electronics are original but he said they were or thinks they are?

There is the red ground, black to the glow plug as seen with the metal boot, Ignition box and battery pack. It's going to take a lot of thought to get this engine and gearbox in this car. The cavity is the main issue.
Attachments
electronic box.jpg
oldschoolmidget
1/4 scale guru

Post by oldschoolmidget »

Hello Emilio,
That's a beauty!! Love that color too! Do you think you can install that engine without cutting up the body or the chassis? I bought a black one years ago to install an engine and never could bring myself to modify it. I thought I would use the Saito fa 200ti. I think the head and valve covers would look awesome sticking out of the hood.

Oldschoolmidget
Attachments
SAITO200TI.jpg