Gilmer gearbox and engine project

This is your place to post your restoration from start to finish. Factory built cars only. All others go in the home brew section.
Kaye
1/4 scale GOD

Re: Gilmer gearbox and engine project

Post by Kaye »

Emilio wrote:Kaye: I have serial number 910263. I don't know if the electronics are original but he said they were or thinks they are?

There is the red ground, black to the glow plug as seen with the metal boot, Ignition box and battery pack. It's going to take a lot of thought to get this engine and gearbox in this car. The cavity is the main issue.

Thanks Emilio. I can't find any mention of electronics in my Abitar manual. A mystery.

Kaye
Emilio
1/4 Scale Legend!

Post by Emilio »

kaye probably aftermarket electronics?

Oldschoolmidget there will be no way to get that Abitar in the Gilmer without cutting into the chassis for the fact of it's height, I have to drop the engine down into the chassis to compensate for that. The other issue is the carburetor, if I can't go low enough,I would have to cut the upper body to accommodate for the carb and exhaust, and if I go to low I have the issue of the drive line shaft alignment.

About using any type of twin saito, there would have to be a lot of hacking into the chassis and body, if you look close at the cuts on gilmers prototype, you'll see a lot of the rough cuts.

There are hardly any photos of Gilmers without the body parts installed. I'm going to make a mock up chassis to see?
Kaye
1/4 scale GOD

Post by Kaye »

Emilio:

Could you tilt the engine forward a few degrees? It would correspondingly raise the output shaft but if you're using a right angle gearbox does it matter? Just an idea (crazy?).

Kaye
Emilio
1/4 Scale Legend!

Post by Emilio »

Not crazy I've thought of that and it won't hurt, Zero-Max also as couplers for their gearbox which are also flexible. The other choice I have that will prevent cutting the upper body is, remove the exhaust and carburetor and I think everything should fit without tilting the engine. Then if I need to run it, I'll run it without the hood on. But I won't know anything until the gearbox shows up.

I'm hoping to score a hood one day and cut that one , and have two hoods for different jobs.
Emilio
1/4 Scale Legend!

Post by Emilio »

I purchased the webra T4 60 nitro off eBay and will see how this fits the Gilmer. It seems to be plenty powerful for the car and almost looks like it will fit perfect without any cuts but a few drilled holes in the chassis for the engine and gearbox.

If all goes well I will paint the engine as the one I saw on the internet, I think it will look great under the hood. Here's a photo of the painted Webra T 4.

Also if this engine works out I might be selling the Abitar. Thanks for looking :D
Attachments
standard.jpg
standard2.jpg
standard5.jpg
standard4.jpg
Kaye
1/4 scale GOD

Post by Kaye »

I've long admired this blue painted engine nicely restored by Tom Kelliher.

Kaye
Emilio
1/4 Scale Legend!

Post by Emilio »

I got the gearbox today and there is no doubt in my mind that Jan Gilmer used this exact Zero-Max gearbox in his prototype. I mocked up the position as to where it should be, I will then cut one slot in the chassis long enough to slide the rear shaft for the axle chain or belt, the gearbox will sit under the seat housing (I modified Rcgarage's CAD photo to show the slot that's needed) and then drill three holes to secure the gearbox, also slotted for chain or belt adjustment/tension.

Next I will need to get a bell clutch and coupeler to tie it all together. Depending on the size of the webra T4 engine, I will not sacrifice one bit of the body. Hope you enjoy and can use this info.
Attachments
gearbox small3.jpg
gearbox small2.jpg
gearbox small1.jpg
C138801.JPG
Kaye
1/4 scale GOD

Post by Kaye »

The right angle gearbox has me thinking of using one in a project.
Emilio
1/4 Scale Legend!

Post by Emilio »

Kaye I used Zero-Max gearbox to stay somewhat true to Gilmer's design but check out this company Maxon also, they have some fancy design and claim to have the smallest gearbox.

https://youtu.be/VafPtGlByJU

Or you could make your own like this guy did.

https://youtu.be/6r7CJ3TcoAw
Kaye
1/4 scale GOD

Post by Kaye »

Emilio: Thanks for the links; I'll go with the tiny gearbox :)
Emilio
1/4 Scale Legend!

Post by Emilio »

I received the webra engine today (Thank you Kaye for recommending the webra engine) for anyone who has the U-finish model and are at a dead end, I highly recommend going with my configuration, but that's entirely up to you.

If it's flat out beastly power you need or want, you will have no choice but to go with zenoha or Kawasaki engines which will require heavy fabrication to the chassis and body and to acquirer all the parts.

I chose to stay on a more scaled look, and I think the webra T4 60 engine will be enough power to enjoy a Sunday drive. Anyway, here is the webra T4 mocked up, the engine fits perfect and no cuts to the body at all and has plenty of head room under the hood. I will only have to fabricate an exhaust pipe and engine mounts. All in all I'm very happy with this configuration and will post my progress and parts as I go along. Hope you enjoy :)
Attachments
web1.jpg
web2.jpg
web3.jpg
web4.jpg
web5.jpg
web6.jpg
Emilio
1/4 Scale Legend!

Post by Emilio »

Hey folks, upon inspecting the engine and removing the timing cover I found the belt needs to be replaced, fortunately I found 3 packs of belts on ebay and continued with the tear down of the engine and cleaning.

When all is said and done, I will paint the engine same color as the one I found on the
internet which is royal blue the color of my Gilmer. Hope you're enjoying the project :)
Attachments
webeng2.jpg
webeng1.jpg
webeng3.jpg
Kaye
1/4 scale GOD

Post by Kaye »

Emilio wrote: Hope you're enjoying the project :)
I most certainly am!
Emilio
1/4 Scale Legend!

Post by Emilio »

Thank you Kaye I'm glad :)

For anyone going this route with the Gilmer, I want to point out that there are two types of right angle gearbox and both will work, the one from Zero-max which is a much better quality, smoother and easy feel when turning the shaft and is larger of the two, the other is from Mcmaster carr and seems cheaply made,stiff when turning the shaft but a much smaller footprint, also the Zero-Max has the flat notch on the shat where the other is completely round, again both will do the job in case you're wondering, I'm going with the Zero-Max.

Zero-Max item# C138801 $254.00

MCmaster carr item# 6456K11 $184.00
Attachments
20170901_203632[691].jpg
gb3.jpg
gb2.jpg
gb1.jpg
Kaye
1/4 scale GOD

Post by Kaye »