'32 Roadster Bonneville Salt Flat Racer

This is your place to post your restoration from start to finish. Factory built cars only. All others go in the home brew section.
Kaye
1/4 scale GOD

'32 Roadster Bonneville Salt Flat Racer

Post by Kaye »

I’ve recently been researching full size electric cars, dragsters, hot rods etc., and discovered there's a class for electric cars at Bonneville. Maybe everyone here already knew that, but I didn't.

I'm having a go at building a model electric salt flat racer out of bits and pieces I have in the hobby room. Below are some pictures of what I've 'mocked up' so far, along with pictures of cars that have inspired me; none of them electric powered.

My model body is fibreglass but I'm going to experiment with fabricating one out of ABS left over from another project. The brushless motor and ESC bracket is from Yankee; it's a nicely machined piece. I haven't bought the ESC or motor yet.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-09-19 at 7.58.59 PM.png
20130813-16849-Speed Week 2013-0007.jpg
IMG_3497.JPG
IMG_3506.JPG
IMG_3494.JPG
Kaye
1/4 scale GOD

Re: '32 Roadster Bonneville Salt Flat Racer

Post by Kaye »

Another picture.
Attachments
IMG_3509.JPG
CALracing
1/4 scale guru

Post by CALracing »

Kaye looks like a great project. Geoff
Kaye
1/4 scale GOD

Post by Kaye »

CALracing wrote:Kaye looks like a great project. Geoff
Thanks Geoff. I was inspired by your electric model car, and grateful for your input.
Al Gibson (QSL)
Legacy Member

Post by Al Gibson (QSL) »

Awesome project. Nice out of the box thinking
Mike Casey
Legacy Member

Post by Mike Casey »

John foster built some salt flats car for the speed demon team. Exact replicas. Nice work kaye, great find on the electric setup too!
www.quarterscalelegends.com The Awesome history of 1/4 scale!!
Emilio
1/4 Scale Legend!

Post by Emilio »

I like the grill area. Also have you thought about bringing your idea to a 3d print shop?
Kaye
1/4 scale GOD

Post by Kaye »

Emilio wrote:I like the grill area. Also have you thought about bringing your idea to a 3d print shop?
Emilio:

Thanks for your kind comment. I struggled with the grille and nose area of the car for weeks.

The chassis I'm using was designed for a Grand National type car. The trouble with it is there's quite a big overhang forward of the front wheels, not ideal for a '32 look'. Given that I'm working mostly with 'stuff that I've already got', and that I didn't want to cut the chassis meant I had to solve the overhang issue as best I could. I looked at pictures of all sorts of racers and hot rods to get some ideas.

I tried many different looks. Each time I came up with an idea I 'mocked it up' with foam board, viewed it from various angles, and in different lighting conditions over several days. I'm getting comfortable with the way it looks in its present form.

3D printing of the front end is something I'm considering. When I started out I developed a list of ideas, materials, and processes I'd like to try on the project:

Ideas

- Electric power
- Skeletal body frame / cladding

Materials

- carbon fiber
- ABS plastic
- polycarbonate
- aluminum
- vinyl

Processes

- Parametric design (probably Fusion 360)
- 3D printing
- aluminum bonding
- polycarbonate / polymer sandwich
- body finish with vinyl wrap
RcBurnout
1/4 scale guru

Post by RcBurnout »

Looks awesome. Would love some info on the electric setup. I think I want to go electric to.