Raco shock rebuild

Post your tips and tricks for modification, manufacturing or substituting parts here.
Big_Sal

Raco shock rebuild

Post by Big_Sal »

I've seen some discussion on Raco shock rebuilding but it didn't really cover the rebuilding process in any kind of detail, I like to know "how to" do things right instead of tearing into something and making it worse, parts are hard enough to find as it is, so I'm going to pose a few questions to my new friends before I mess anything up....lol
1. What kind of fluid is used in these shocks? (right now I have trans fluid in mine and it works pretty well)
2. Does the piston inside the shock unscrew off the shock shaft, or are they pressed on?
3. Has anyone found any kind of replacement shaft seals, and how do you install them?

Thanks guys...
Trying to follow my 1/4 scale dreams on a 1/10 scale budget....lol
PTModIT
1/4 scale guru

Re: Raco shock rebuild

Post by PTModIT »

The piston is pressed on and the aluminum end is also pressed on. You need a propane torch to get them off.Just so you know when you bend a shock shaft and have to replace it.I use Associated or Losi shock oil.I use the low weight oils .20 wt. to maybe 40 or 60wt.The brass top on the shock is a 2 piece part.I haven't changed my o-rings yet ,but I think the 2 pieces have to come apart to change them.I know this because I put to much oil in one shock and when I went to press the shock the top brass part came apart.But I could be wrong.
Big_Sal

Post by Big_Sal »

I'll have to take a better look at mine now...lol...I used trans fluid because it was thinner than the silicone shock oil and it seems to work well...I was just wondering what everyone else used...it would of been nice if the parts were threaded together, heating aluminum always makes me nervous...lol
a187lbird
1/4 scale guru

Post by a187lbird »

I would be careful using automotive fluids in RC car parts. They may be to harsh for some of the old rubber compounds used in our 1/4 scales. If I remember correctly transmission fluid and brake fluid can remove high grade automotive paint. So imaging what that would do to a 32 year old rubber o-ring, it would probably dry out crack and start leaking.
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together.
Big_Sal

Post by Big_Sal »

I never thought about that...I figued with all the rubber seals inside a trans, the fluid would be a safe bet...I know brake fluid reaks havok on paint nd other things...lol
a187lbird
1/4 scale guru

Post by a187lbird »

I dont know of many rubber seals within a transmission. Most of the gaskets are cork, aluminum, brass, silicone or atv even the sealed bearings I think use neoprene due to its low absorption of liquid. I could be wrong I never did learn transmissions.

Ok well Im done hijacking this thread sorry for getting so far off of topic.
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together.
Big_Sal

Post by Big_Sal »

Not hijacking at all....this is excatly what the site is all about...great minds coming together to achive a single goal....lol