Looking to build a TF frame, any advice?

Post your tips and tricks for modification, manufacturing or substituting parts here.
lightningfastrcman

Looking to build a TF frame, any advice?

Post by lightningfastrcman »

So it's summertime, and that means I have much more time than usual to work on rc projects. So this summer I wanted to start on the big one I've wanted to do for a long time: The quarter scale Top Fuel Dragster. I am hoping to at least have the frame done by the end of the summer. I plan to build the frame myself along with a few other parts, then get the rest from various other places. The problem is I'm not exactly sure about how exactly to go about doing such a thing. What type of tubing do you use? Where do you get it? Does anyone have plans? How would an engine, fuel tank, and electrionics be mounted inside the frame? These are the biggest questions I have.

So I was just wondering if anyone had any advice for me and even if anyone had some plans I could go off of. Thanks!

P.S. Also does anyone have any advice on rear ends? Which ones to use, what's the difference between different ones, if those differences matter at all, etc.
PTModIT
1/4 scale guru

Re: Looking to build a TF frame, any advice?

Post by PTModIT »

Hi, The best thing to do is search the internet for TF dragster pictures and study them. Also search this website for members builds. Also YouTube. There are belt or chain drive axles or the little more costly quick change gearboxes. As for steel, where I live we have The Metal Store. Some machine shops will also carry steel tubing.
lightningfastrcman

Post by lightningfastrcman »

Okay thanks. I have been studying pictures, and I plan to go off of them during construction. I also plan on looking up some of the proportions of the full size cars and scaling that down to my car. I plan on doing more research on the rear ends and deciding later. As it turns out I do have a store where I can get tubing, but I'm not sure what diameter to use. 1/2 inch maybe? 1/4 inch? Also I am still pretty confused on how the engine and rear end mount to the chassis. I see most people use trays for the electronics and other various mounts for servos, but I don't really see how the engine and rear end mount to the chassis. Any insight on that?
anytimerc

Post by anytimerc »

For frame material use cromolly tube or DOM tube only. 3/8' and 1/4' Motor mount plate 1/8' thick . Welding you have your choice of wire , tig or gas. Drive line; belt 3l or chain 25 pitch which is easier and the cheapest. You will have to use a double gear reduction with a jack shaft for best results.

wicksaircraft.com