Tires in Ricks' RC ad

Lets talk about 1/4 scale cars here!!
freddyg

Tires in Ricks' RC ad

Post by freddyg »

does anyone have any info or knowledge about the 8" offroad stadium tires Rick has listed in his ads?
Mike Casey
Legacy Member

Post by Mike Casey »

I have them on my stadium truck. They can kinda still be found every once in a while. They run $200 for the set of tires and then about $100 for the 2 piece foam inserts. The foam inserts are about impossible to find, but rick hooked me up!!!!
www.quarterscalelegends.com The Awesome history of 1/4 scale!!
freddyg

Post by freddyg »

lucky dog, were they manufactured by rick or for him specifically for rc use?
Mike Casey
Legacy Member

Post by Mike Casey »

I believe he had someone make them for him. He then sold the stuff to make them to someone else? I dont remember. :( I will ask again.
sprintcarmark

RICKS RC WHEELS

Post by sprintcarmark »

HI I HAVE A SET OF RICKS WHEELS FOR MY SPRINT CAR ALL ODD BUT NEVER MIND THE QUALITY OF THIS GUYS IS FANTASTIC ,I ALSO HAVE ONE STADIUM TRUCK WHEEL AND TYRE
FAT PEOPLE NEED LOVIN TOO
hemifreak
Legacy Member

Re: Tires in Ricks' RC ad

Post by hemifreak »

freddyg wrote:does anyone have any info or knowledge about the 8" offroad stadium tires Rick has listed in his ads?
:D
I just bought a complete set of the Ricks 8" off road tires with custom wheels. And there are possibly 2 to 3 sets left where I got these.
Mike Casey
Legacy Member

Post by Mike Casey »

well stop holding out. Where did you get them?
hemifreak
Legacy Member

Post by hemifreak »

The tires and wheels came from the same man who has all of Rick's original drawings and prints. Michael has e-mailed him 3 times reguarding a pulling truck? go to this link for the last remaining sets available:http://www.dwlmotorsportsinc.com/ Talk to Don about the tires and custom wheels, He will take care of you and is the front man for the man who has the parts. WWJD
Big Trev
Legacy Member

Tire link

Post by Big Trev »

Guys, I would like to buy 2 sets of these tires if somebody can help me out. No inserts needed. Just to confirm they are the one's pictured at the bottom of the Rick's RC photo page on this site. The real knobbly ones!
Speaking of tyres, what are those mounted on your New Era model on your garage floor Mike? I was scouting around on the site and saw a close up of them in the background of another pic, damned if I can find it again, but they also looked different to normal treaded kart tires?
And also, what is happening over there ?. People seem to buy the ability to manufacture old parts and they are never seen again. Food for thought, form a syndicate to hold onto the tools to enable resupply for future. I have a personal interest in this and it would be nice to make things available again. Fortunately people like Todd Bishop still does the fantastic Goodyear range. If these moulds are available and nobody wants to do it I will!
I don't have to make a profit to be happy!
P.S, This may sound silly , but why are the goodyears not run as race tires, I know from BRP site that they are not intended for it, but I have some interesting test results on them! and don't they look the business too
Who ate all the pies?
Mike Casey
Legacy Member

Post by Mike Casey »

Thanks for the post! For your tires give larry cross with quarterscale motorsports a call. He has one set upstairs. You will want some kinda foam though. If you put tubes in them you will need 2 or it will look funny. The tires on my MT are Rototiller tires for garden use. As far as the old molds go and such... I have thought of making some of the stuff and selling it as replacements. There is a couple problems with that. First of all either this stuff was given to me or sold to me for real cheap. The original owners gave me such good deals because they knew I was a collector and they did not anticipate me selling parts and making money off their artwork. So as you can see it would not be in good taste for me to do so. The second problem would be the investment to make the parts. To make any of the stuff I would have to run 100pcs at a time and that would tie up thousands of dollars. One day I may go back and get permission to make parts off these molds and offer replacements, but it wont be soon.
Big Trev
Legacy Member

Tires

Post by Big Trev »

Thanks for that info, will give Larry a shout.
Very fair points on the re-supply issue. It would certainly need to be done above board with the original artists permission as far as possible, or at least in recognition of them depending on circumstances, ie ...passed on, or parts changed hands a few times.
From a collectors point of view I would not be too concerned, but if I put my purists hat on, then I would like to see the industry come full circle. Retrace the roots and build on it, make what was good about the past revive the future. I would think that true collectors items would become even more valuable then too. Keep in mind I have only ever followed the industry movements from afar, and MY feelings and thoughts are just that.
In an ideal world it would be easy, but I know realistically it would take a lot of time to reintroduce, if thats what was wanted anyway? Maybe nowadays people are happy with where it's all at, and don't want to bring something old forward? I refer to the 1/4 scale community as a whole.
Mike, could I trouble you for a closer pic of your MT wheels as I may be able to find a local source, otherwise I would like info on a supplier there please. Sorry for the bother.
Cheers
Trevor
Who ate all the pies?
jackman

Post by jackman »

hi all i'm new to the forum, there was a guy building cars in 2002. he built what he called the hurrican and a monster truck with ricks tires on it. i called to see if i could get a set but would not sell just tires he wanted to sell the trucks.we all need to get Todd at brp to get something close to those tires.
Mike Casey
Legacy Member

Post by Mike Casey »

do you have more info? Who was it? The tires are not the best in the world. They are too wide and you need drag rims for them to fit. Then you have problems with the steering linkage. Dont get me wrong, I sure am glad to own a set and they are sweet... just not the most pratical. I dont think todd is interested in doing such work :(
jackman

Post by jackman »

i'll try to find out his address i had it when i built my cup car.i believe i have it some where with the rule book from three years ago.your right i talked to him about making some paddle tires for some rail buggys.i am working on mold fab.and compound ideas with a buddy a work.i don't know if we are on the right track but we are workin gat it.any how the guy called his car a hurricane it showed up around june of 2002.
don't race it if you don't want someone or yourself to back you in the fence.
Mike Casey
Legacy Member

Post by Mike Casey »

where in CA are you? I also see that you are in fuel transport.... I run a hose shop and we sell bayco drop elbows and kanaflex, kuriyama and pacific echo drop hoses to a lot of the local guys from long beach to bakersfield.