Name that sprinter !

Lets talk about 1/4 scale cars here!!
Mike Casey
Legacy Member

Re: Name that sprinter !

Post by Mike Casey »

My guess is its a WCM. I think that belt drive in the back is a aftermarket part that was available.
www.quarterscalelegends.com The Awesome history of 1/4 scale!!
chiefj48
1/4 scale guru

Post by chiefj48 »

It's a Joe Alves Sprint Car.....
chiefj48
1/4 scale guru

Post by chiefj48 »

Joe Alves Sprinters were the car to have back in the Day. Most would convert them by putting a Skellenger Rear in them. Steve Skellenger would win a lot of races with his Alves/Skellenger Sprinter. (I was with Steve at a few of his wins)

I think the biggest thing that helped them was the fact that they were torsion bar suspension with a wide chassis, thus making them handle better then most other cars on the market....

Joe wound up going to jail, and thus the production of his cars stopped. (he could be in his 70's by now)

I have yet to find an example original enough for me to purchase, and if one were to show up, I would like to add it to my collection...
chiefj48
1/4 scale guru

Post by chiefj48 »

vwguru75 wrote:At some point we'll figure it out.

Perhaps Joe(chief) will shed some more light on the situation. I'm open to any info. Seems he is familiar with the car from the posts I have found on different forums.
Did you find this car on Long Island???
Back in the day when I was a WCM dealer, there was another guy trying to sell cars, and he became an Alves dealer.
I can't remember his name right now, but if I do, I'll post it.
I know he had purchased two cars for sure, and brought them to the track a few times, but he never stayed with it...
chiefj48
1/4 scale guru

Post by chiefj48 »

they're not as rare as you might think, and I have seen quite a few....

if your looking for rare, try finding a GLD Grand National..... now that's rare!!!!!
a187lbird
1/4 scale guru

Post by a187lbird »

I have a car I would like to add to the "Name that sprinter game"
I have to pry the camera away from the wifey and sift through thousands of our kids photos to find the pictures, but I will post pictures this weekend. Ok so a text description of the car for now and maybe it will spark an idea to someone on who made it.

It has a square tube chassis at the bottom and main cage is half inch tube and some of the connecting tubing is closer to quarter inch.

It had a skellenger mounted in it, the engine was mounted to a plate that was held in place by clamps that go around the cage's tubing , and the 2stroke engine has a red cover.

And the A arms are steel tubing that has been bent into the "A" shape with a welded cross member, and the heims screw directly into the A arm.

Everything on the car is mounted using these clamps that go around the cage.

Also it looks like it was made to be a super mod maybe... maybe...? It is not the narrow frames that you see from many companies, it has a very wide stance and the frame is built out to be flush with the rims. And dose not have the detachable side rails or a spot that I can see for front and rear bumper rails either. The frame's cage does sweep forward to the front of the car just like a sprinter. and there is a metal belly pan on the left side of the car.

I know it may be hard to understand by text alone but like I said I will be posting pictures this weekend, until then if you have ANY idea of who made this or any info at all it would be greatly appreciated. Or just shoot out anything that comes to mind :D

Thanks guys
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together.
a187lbird
1/4 scale guru

Post by a187lbird »

Ohh god that bottom one would make some ugly babies :lol:

Ok let me pull out the camera and start finding the photos.
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together.
a187lbird
1/4 scale guru

Post by a187lbird »

Ok here you guys go.

a187lbird
1/4 scale guru

Post by a187lbird »

Here are the clamps, fuel tank, rear, and engine that came on the car.

a187lbird
1/4 scale guru

Post by a187lbird »

I have all the parts for this car except body and wing.

As you guys can see its part sprinter part supermod. It needs work but it is a cool looking car. I bet cleaned up, restored and with a body on it would make it mean looking.
So anyone have an idea what this car is or who made it?
a187lbird
1/4 scale guru

Post by a187lbird »

So everyone agrees it is homebrew?
a187lbird
1/4 scale guru

Post by a187lbird »

Oh I will build it back up. I just wanted to know if it was home brew or not. If it was a production car I was going to restore to original, but since it is home brew it gives me a blank canvas for a unique creative rebuild. I'm thinking all sheet metal body with very aggressive style.