Memory Lane - WCM Pro Stock Drag Cars

Lets talk about 1/4 scale cars here!!
hotrodz
Legacy Member

Memory Lane - WCM Pro Stock Drag Cars

Post by hotrodz »

I was going through some of my old photos and found some of my WCM Pro Stock drag cars from the late '80's. Both cars were sold in '93. It has been interesting to see the cars re-surface from time to time...the blue/burgundy Oldsmobile twice on Ebay and the Super Shops Lumina once...here on QSL.
The WCM P/S cars were unique, with their 2 speed transmission and hydraulic brake. One of my favorite Pro Stock cars back then was Bruce Allen's Super Shops Beretta. No Beretta bodies were available, so I used a lexan Lumina body and stepped the paint theme up by using Kandy colors. After I sold the cars, I found out that the Super Shops car found its way to being on display in a Detroit Super Shops outlet. Super Shops speed shops are long gone.
Attachments
Photo16.jpg
Photo11.jpg
Photo4.jpg
Photo12.jpg
Photo15.jpg
Photo18.jpg
Photo10.jpg
Photo8.jpg
Emilio
1/4 Scale Legend!

Re: Memory Lane - WCM Pro Stock Drag Cars

Post by Emilio »

I guess it's true when they say, " A picture is worth a thousand words" Thanks Hot!
Al Gibson (QSL)
Legacy Member

Post by Al Gibson (QSL) »

hotrodz

Amazing pieces of history and thanks for sharing. I'm pretty sure i saw the Super Shops car at a drag race in Arizona one time as a display. Absolutely beautiful works of art. Al
hotrodz
Legacy Member

Post by hotrodz »

Thanks gentlemen :)
quartermortar

Post by quartermortar »

Love the cars. Were you the first builder?
lanegc

Post by lanegc »

Those were the "glory" days of the hobby. Very nice cars!!
hotrodz
Legacy Member

Post by hotrodz »

Thanks John and George,
I purchased the chassis under the Lumina new from WCM and the chassis under the Oldsmobile, I picked up at a hobby show in Milwaukee in slightly crashed condition. Apparently the car had been wedged under a guardrail and the top hoop of the cage was slightly compressed at the A-pillar. It was a simple fix to pull it back into shape with no damage to the tubing. Back then, a gentleman named Dave Lee had a company called Ouarterscale Connection...he made aftermarket parts for many cars including the WCM Pro Stock. He made a 3rd speed transmission that was basically another 2 speed that mounted on the rear axle...with gearing set to engage after the 2nd gear shift on the main 2 speed. Quarterscale Connection also made a 4-link conversion to convert the "swing plate" to the better articulating 4-link set up. I put the 4-link conversion and Quarterscale Connection tuned pipe on the Oldsmobile and left the Lumina stock.
I did all my own paint back then as well...they called me Kandy Man... LOL!
gearhed

Post by gearhed »

Great cars. Looks they could be full size. Photo's like this are why I think quarterscales are awesome!
hotrodz
Legacy Member

Post by hotrodz »

Thanks Gearhed,
I actually had a neighbour check to see if I was OK...she saw me lying on my belly in the driveway and thought I was having a medical emergency...thanked her and explained the need to get just the right angle for my photo session. I am amazed at how huge the trees and vegetation in the 'hood have grown in a 1/4 century LOL...comparing these pics to the more recent Sprint car pics :)