Getting the project started again

Lets talk about 1/4 scale cars here!!
garyg

Getting the project started again

Post by garyg »

Hey guys. A few years ago I posted some pics of this project but it really never got off the ground. I'm in the mood again so I'm going to take another shot although I need some help. The car is a vintage New Era corvette. The motor is a water cooled quickdraw 70cc two cycle boat motor. You guys that run boats know what you are looking at. I pretty much have everything figured out except the driveline. Because the motor is mounted perpendicular to the axel and sprocket I'm going to have to make a 90* turn in the driveline. I figure I could buy a quick change rear that would bolt in and work great so I'm taking suggestions on makes and models. Second I could fabricate a bevel right angle gearbox. It would cost a bunch less and I think it would work. Any thoughts. Thoughts on maybe a used rear for sale or suggestions on how I can make this work. Thanks in advance guys GG.

Mike Casey
Legacy Member

Re: Getting the project started again

Post by Mike Casey »

love this. I have always wanted to do the same. What do you plan to use for water cooling? I would personally go with a rear end. With that nice engine and all the work you plan to put in. Might as well finish it off with a nice quick change rear.
www.quarterscalelegends.com The Awesome history of 1/4 scale!!
garyg

Post by garyg »

I'm going to use a computer radiator. They are real small. I'll pump the cooling fluid with a small elec pump. If I could come up with an affordable quick change I'd do that for sure. I'm going to try to sell some of my boats to come up with some dough....
Al Gibson (QSL)
Legacy Member

Post by Al Gibson (QSL) »

pretty cool project
Emilio
1/4 Scale Legend!

Post by Emilio »

Very nice project! I've always felt the engine in these full cage cars should always sit up front. I too suggest a quick change rear especially for weight distribution, the 89 mustang 5.0 sucked for this configuration :roll:
lalacurf121

Post by lalacurf121 »

I'll pump the cooling fluid with a small elec pump. If I could come up with an affordable quick change I'd do that for sure.
sbo365
garyg

Post by garyg »

here are some pics of the run stand I built for testing
garyg

Post by garyg »

vids coming
garyg

Post by garyg »

http://youtu.be/os4kHeR7FTQ

Here's a vid running
CALracing
1/4 scale guru

Post by CALracing »

Looks great, what temps were you running?
garyg

Post by garyg »

I have only been able to run for about seven minutes at a time. The water pump im using is a windshield washer pump. it overheats. its not made for continuous use. the temp gets to about 100. Mitch at QD says im good to 200. I have a bigger radiator coming and I am going to make a holding tank for more capacity.
Emilio
1/4 Scale Legend!

Post by Emilio »

When you said "cooling fluid" is this antifreeze for these type of engines? Btw love the Snap-on tool box, I don't think Snap-on makes that one anymore?
garyg

Post by garyg »

Emilio wrote:When you said "cooling fluid" is this antifreeze for these type of engines? Btw love the Snap-on tool box, I don't think Snap-on makes that one anymore?
I'm using a combo of water and a small amount of Water Wetter. The box was given to me by my Dad. It's a really nice box but it could use a cleaning. Thanks for noticing.
Emilio
1/4 Scale Legend!

Post by Emilio »

Here's one option you could use for a water tank, don't know if this would be ridiculously to big, looks like 3 different sizes to choose from. Cool looking.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-1-2-QT-GO-KAR ... 73&vxp=mtr
garyg

Post by garyg »

Emilio wrote:Here's one option you could use for a water tank, don't know if this would be ridiculously to big, looks like 3 different sizes to choose from. Cool looking.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-1-2-QT-GO-KAR ... 73&vxp=mtr
Thanks for the tip! I am using an oval aluminum water bottle I got off Amazon. I have room for two bringing my water capacity to over forty ounces. I am adding another radiator and just got some new high flow fans. I'll keep you posted