Fiberglass Straightening

Lets talk about 1/4 scale cars here!!
gearhed

Fiberglass Straightening

Post by gearhed »

I was curious if anybody has had any luck at straightening a warped funny car body? On mine the sides get a little too wide at the bottom, between the front and back tires.
Vcut670

Re: Fiberglass Straightening

Post by Vcut670 »

Suggestion ,perhaps you could lay out in the sun for a while ,with the use of a clamp to pull the lower half of the body in gently.
Lovedr
Legacy Member

Post by Lovedr »

I've done it using a heat gun and clamps. Just make sure you move the heat gun back and forth and don't sit in on area too long
gearhed

Post by gearhed »

Thanks for the suggestions. Although we are warm for December I think I'll need to use the heat gun.
RcBurnout
1/4 scale guru

Post by RcBurnout »

I've done lots of work on real boats. Relief cuts seem to work the best for me. This will also relieve stress.... Once you have relief cuts in place you can brace up the inside of the car to the original shape and re-fiberglass the out side. The down side is your going to have to lay new fiberglass and add the gelcoat to seal the fiberglass. The heat gun may work or may just add insult to injury. N

Good luck

Dominick

Imagination feeds creativity
c103110
1/4 scale guru

Post by c103110 »

Fiberglass resins (polyester or epoxy) are thermoset materials, meaning that a one-way chemical reaction occurs between the resin and hardener. Heat will somewhat reverse a thermoplastic material's shape, but thermoset not-so-much. I'd use a cut-off wheel to cut the body half-way through its thickness at the body line. Bring the sides in and brace as necessary and then apply fiberglass to the joint. Grind, apply filler, sand, prime and paint.
gearhed

Post by gearhed »

So much for an easy fix. Thank you for the suggestions. Looks like I will need to make a wooden jig to hold the body where I want it then start performing surgery.
Emilio
1/4 Scale Legend!

Post by Emilio »

how about an iron and rag on the inside with a curb?
lalacurf121

Post by lalacurf121 »