3D body gurus

Lets talk about 1/4 scale cars here!!
Vcut670

3D body gurus

Post by Vcut670 »

Question to anyone experienced with 3d cad , for car bodies.
is it possible to use a 1/18th scale diecast model and have it scanned in 3d , then have that scan up sized to 1/4 scale , then programmed to the cnc to cut? Or do I have to use a 3d Drawing , I am only learning how this all works .
eightman
Legacy Member

Re: 3D body gurus

Post by eightman »

sure this can be done... but
- as you want to scale up the accuraty of scan should be high
- you can't, or it's hard to modify the shape before CNC mill or print
- you can "draw" a new geometry on the scanned mesh made from digized dots, so you can modify the shape and have better quality model, it take a lot of time, some expensive programs can make it for you nearly automatic

today you can find a lot of 3d models of cars, and when available it's easyer to start working with these models and turn them into the shape you want.
hope this help
1:4 scale racing in France : V H R C
faceb..k quarterscale drivers group
my stuff : RC bodies
Vcut670

Post by Vcut670 »

Thanks for that info , I am just trying to find the easiest or best way to get a 3d cad of my favourite car design for a cnc plug.Most companies I ask to help me just do house drafting only, so I keep looking.
Vcut670

Post by Vcut670 »

Eightman ,I have found a site who sells 3d cad of hundreds of different cars,,but they have a lot of different formats eg: DXF ,STL and a lot of others ,which is the best format to convert to G-Code for the CNC machining,