Just a thought

Lets talk about 1/4 scale cars here!!
big maestro
Legacy Member

Just a thought

Post by big maestro »

I was just looking at ebay at the wcm parts listed. People wonder why out hobby is dying. Well watch these auctions and you will see why. I mean seriously. $156.00 for wcm headers!!! They are made of wire and rubber hose for crying out loud... $242.00 for a wcm front axle!!! REALLY!!! It must be nice to pay 3-4-5 times what somethings worth just because you want it and you can. It just hurts everyone in the hobby who can't pay absurd amounts of money for things. This is exactly the reason the 1/4 scale hobby is dying. A couple more years and it will be gone for good...
bobjeffreson
1/4 scale GOD

Re: Just a thought

Post by bobjeffreson »

Lance,
I'm with you bud, however I bet the seller Estate_ Flyers, thinks it Christmas. That sale is way to hot for me and I'm OK for money, even at the current US$ / AU$ exchange rate.
Emilio
1/4 Scale Legend!

Post by Emilio »

I fell victim to high prices in this hobby only because I was a cherry dick and had no clue on prices until the very end, by then it was to late to recoup any money and sold for less than what it was worth, I had some good stuff mind you but still, not worth anything near what I paid. For me, this hobby for the most part was a fail as a collector but a valuable lesson on creating big things small. I now collect my first love, vintage slot cars and build 1/8 scale custom stuff and still love my Yankees. Here is a photo off the web of a vintage 1960s 1/24 scale Russkit black widow with dual motors all wheel drive that I just purchased from an auction, I just had to show it!
Attachments
13592475414_68cd1f2b6d_b.jpg
Vcut670

Post by Vcut670 »

Yes very overpriced ridiculous in some cases,,not just 1/4 scale ,but all rc toys
Some people will pay whatever it costs for the pleasures they seek,,and if it is a luxury item then the price rises.
Kaye
1/4 scale GOD

Post by Kaye »

I too have paid over the odds for models (mostly cars and motorcycles) I just had to have, but on balance I have no regrets. Happily I've assembled a collection that'll keep me going for many years to come. I've also met some very good people (on and off line) who I count as friends.

Kaye
RcBurnout
1/4 scale guru

Post by RcBurnout »

So like ten years ago or so I seen this coming. I remember buying up WCM belt drive sprint cars for no more then 500.00. In excellent condition. With spare parts... Skellenger rear end sprint cars went for around 750. And that was a lot!!!!!!!! With every auction I always got spare parts and rims.... I must have over 300 aluminum halves alone on top of the spare parts. I just collect parts now.... Yes I was part of the bidding. Yes I bumped the stuff up right to the last minute. And yes I won 2 items. But..... I watched folks start parting these cars out. I seen it coming. Hell the rims back then were almost considered junk and thrown in the auctions. Now there at least 10 bucks a half.....if your lucky to get them at that price.... I scooped all that stuff up... I don't even know what I have... But there's a lot....... Rear end cars are awesome. Not my thing. But they bring money. I have a couple. So. Back to parting out..... These cars got parted out.... I was hoping by now some one would have started making rear ends at a decent price. But not.... 1/4 scale equals gold... Lol. Trust me... There's not to many parts on those sprint cars that can't be duplicated , and you would never know. A front axle. Damnnnnnnn almost 400.00. Yep. I think I went to 275 on that... I got lots of spares. At least I know what there worth now :-). But theres not more that 15.00 dallors in material to make ma axle..... And not to much effort. And you'd never know.... It is what it is. I can't remember when but I remember who completely destroyed this hobby money wise. They won the lottery. Bought up everything. Every body took advantage of that too. Me included. Prices skyrocketed....... I still see one of my WCM Sprint cars on his shelf along with a nascar as well.... That's when parts prices wise went crazy. I would have done the same thing.... We all contributed to this high inflation of prices for these cars and parts for a quick buck on a single auction. Oh well.... That's when I started making my own. better quality and I get the satisfaction of creating it myself. Yes.... I like collecting the originals and will continue but the prices are ridiculous..... I don't think I will ever sell my collection. 35 cars in all. The joke around the house is when I die everyone will be here to fight over them. Lol. Have fun. I said back and I'll say it now. I seen this coming.
RcBurnout
1/4 scale guru

Post by RcBurnout »

Here's what I bought. Just so you know a while back ago I bought a lot of used helm joints. All good. Left and right hand threads. So. Now. I got the rods to make more spare parts.

Yay
RcBurnout
1/4 scale guru

Post by RcBurnout »

It says file to big. Pictures won't load. I bought the rear axle and rod end lot
RcBurnout
1/4 scale guru

Post by RcBurnout »

Trying again
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
RcBurnout
1/4 scale guru

Post by RcBurnout »

It's ironic.... As I was one of the few back then complaining about these inflated prices I got ridiculed by a lot... Now.

well..... Now is now
RcBurnout
1/4 scale guru

Post by RcBurnout »

Ricks rims on eBay. Yes These are the cream of the crop but really

Really. Buy it now. 1500.00
big maestro
Legacy Member

Post by big maestro »

Well it is what it is. I guess I'll throw some junk on there too.
RcBurnout
1/4 scale guru

Post by RcBurnout »

I love it. Somebody finally agrees. It is what it is. I'd love to have them. There awesome. But I'd hate myself in the morning. Lol. That's why I'm starting to make my own... An up hill battle. But one that will be won.. :D

Imagination feeds Creativity
Emilio
1/4 Scale Legend!

Post by Emilio »

What are things really worth and would you part with them for what you think they're worth?
lanegc

Post by lanegc »

It is a "collector" driven hobby, the lack of racing venues, shows and press dedicated to 1/4 scale is a big factor. You will make more $$$$ flipping burgers at McDonalds than you can building and selling 1/4 scale cars, even pan chassis cars. I agree with Dom, taking a vision in your mind and creating a working model from that vision is very rewarding, but not everybody has the skill or tools and equipment to do it. If no one is mass producing them there are no parts or cars on the market and what is out there will be very expensive