skellenger shrine!!!

Lets talk about 1/4 scale cars here!!
Mike Casey
Legacy Member

skellenger shrine!!!

Post by Mike Casey »

Here it is, my skellenger shrine. I have posted pics before on the old forum, but here are some new ones since I just placed a new addition. The new addition is a WAX master for the sprint rear on a stand. I am sure this is the only one around because who would be crazy enough to keep one of these. Anyway, on the left is the Bronze rear. From what I understand only 5 were made and given to family members with the exception of this one. This one was given to Delara. In the middle case is the magnesium rear. Only one ever built! On top of the case is the original #6 rear end. This is the sixth one produced and part of the prototype batch!!! On the right is of course the wax master. I also have a "D" series serial number rear in the garage that was converted to a display rear with cutaways for trade shows skellenger went to. When I recieve the stands from the foundry. I plan on bringing that one in to display on the shelf.
Attachments
P1020301.jpg
P1020301.jpg (84.6 KiB) Viewed 8762 times
P1020303.jpg
P1020303.jpg (77.48 KiB) Viewed 8762 times
P1020304.jpg
P1020304.jpg (88.45 KiB) Viewed 8762 times
www.quarterscalelegends.com The Awesome history of 1/4 scale!!
Mike Casey
Legacy Member

Re: skellenger shrine!!!

Post by Mike Casey »

Good questions...

I know that there were over 1,000 of the sprint style rears made. I dont know how many winters rears were made. Technically, they just had the two styles of rears. Hallibrand and Winters. As far as i know, the winters style was done exactly as you see them. I dont think any variations were made with those.

The hallibrand rears... when they made the molds the side covers did not have the ribs in them yet. They did a run like that because Don Edmunds wanted them like that. Then they modified the molds to add the ribs. There may be 50 or less smooth cover sides out there... The early center sections were also not machined in the center making them heavier. There may be one more Magneseum rear out there from what i understand. The castings for it did not come out very good, but a complete rear was made from stories i heard. There is a gold plated rear that was made for kenny rogers that a member here has and of course the bronze rears for family members and gary delara.

On serial numbers...

There are serial numbers that start with "D" that stood for Delara. The ones with no serial number i believe are fakes. When skellenger closed down there was a lot of stock at the foundry. The foundry wanted them to buy the over runs, but they did now want them. The foundry asked if they could sell them and they told them to destroy them. In the end, the foundry kept the side cover molds since those were the parts missing I assume? I have recieved a couple "no serial number" rears and they are generally messed up one way or another in my experience...
Turbogolf
1/4 scale guru

Post by Turbogolf »

Mike, so how many of the original QC rear-ends did Skellenger sell? Or how high does the serial number go up to?
Mike Casey
Legacy Member

Post by Mike Casey »

the serial numbers go over 1,000
chiefj48
1/4 scale guru

Post by chiefj48 »

QSL wrote:the serial numbers go over 1,000
i had 1003....
replick

Post by replick »

I have a Edelbrock Delara that I picked up a few years ago and there is a E17 stamped on the rib on the quickchange.What does that mean?
Thanks!
Mike Casey
Legacy Member

Post by Mike Casey »

i have not seen one with a E on it before.
big maestro
Legacy Member

Post by big maestro »

My edelbrock has the "E" on the rear also.
Mike Casey
Legacy Member

Post by Mike Casey »

Steve had told me the "D" rears went to Delara. But... there is a difference between Delara and Edelbrock. So I guess that could be it. I dont have a Edelbrock car, so i have never seen one... :cry:
chiefj48
1/4 scale guru

Post by chiefj48 »

i have two edlebrocks, and their #'s are 156, and 168 no E on them....
Mike Casey
Legacy Member

Post by Mike Casey »

Some of the ones without serial numbers were unauthorized productions. But its pretty easy to tell. The quality of them is very poor and bearings and side covers dont line up right.

I dont know some of the originals are not numbered. That one i just sent had no number, but it was for sure an original...
Mike Casey
Legacy Member

Post by Mike Casey »

that may be the one i have. I bought mine from cindy in HI. She got it from the large lot of stuff from Gary delara. Skellenger gave gary one and each skellenger family member recieved one. Its really heavy and very nice. Cool piece!

There is also a gold plated one out there that was sold to kenny rogers.
a187lbird
1/4 scale guru

Post by a187lbird »

Did skellenger make any rears with axle tubes?
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together.
Mike Casey
Legacy Member

Post by Mike Casey »

Yes the winters style came with axle tubes
a187lbird
1/4 scale guru

Post by a187lbird »

Thanks. :D
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together.