My very first Yankee RC Model !

Lets talk about 1/4 scale cars here!!
Rowhider

My very first Yankee RC Model !

Post by Rowhider »

Hello !

It is with great emotion and after a few twists that I present my first Yankee and not the most insignificant

This is a beautiful Ferrari 330P4 Team factory, former Bruno Alliot (ex Yankee boss)

This car driven by Bruno Alliot, was offered by the former boss of Yankee to a friend, boss of a company who helped to revive the brand.

That person who retires and who unfortunately for Yankee legend, ceased activity recently, decided to sell this car with regrets. This Ferrari has adorned his office and one of its meeting rooms for few years.

It is a rather special car for the brand, I am very proud to have inherited.

ImageFerrari 330P4 Yankee 1/4 by Rowhider, sur Flickr
Side by side with my Tamiya Alpine A110

Tenth against Fourth
Rowhider

Re: My very first Yankee RC Model !

Post by Rowhider »

With the help and good tips from Laurent, the boss of Yankee-Legend: I am currently performing a restoration on the car.

At this state, this P4 has no primary transmission nor engine.

I will equipped the car with a 750kv Brushless motor with a 8S power pack: so about 7.5hp of power :lol:

Yankee-Legend is working hardly on brushless conversion packs for all king of chassis: my P4 will become the very first to be convert in brushless :mrgreen:

For more details: rear tires are far too bigger and hard to be manage on track (front Yankee Formula 1 tires put at the rear). Hopefully Laurent is testing a new king of tires made with a modern elastomer: 1/4 Scale is back!
Al Gibson (QSL)
Legacy Member

Post by Al Gibson (QSL) »

Awesome car, great find. Good luck, and please post pics of your progress. Al
Rowhider

Post by Rowhider »

Hello,

I've recept my brushless combo this week, and the work progess slowly...

I've bought a SkyRC ESC Beast 200A at the last release with a Beast X528 motor (about 10HP of power)

I should say that I performed a mistake... I bought the motor in the 520kv version instead of the 780v. This motor could run with 12S Lipo, very interesting but for now, it will run with only 8S.

Finaly, the calculated top speed will be pretty slow with only 60 to 65km/h, but the acceleration will be impressive

If necessary, I will lengthen the transmission ratio, function of the temperature of engine/ESC and autonomy. At least I will bought another motor at the right KV.

I will run my car at another track than currently: this track has a straight line of 65m instead of 75m for today (measured on Google Earth!)
Rowhider

Post by Rowhider »

Hi ! A lot of things for today

First, I received my batch of parts from Yankee-Legend, allowing me to snatch about 10mm² of skin from my thumb during the assembly of the antiroll barr… (half spher are hard to screw) and to dismount the rear train for cleaning and setting.
Finally:

The cam stopper plate (setting of the car height on the rear train) is replaced by the antiroll plate: the Yankee antiroll system is very efficient and well designed with two tie rods linking the two suspension cams.

I just need to find a locknut at the right diameter to complete the assembly.

On the hydraulic dampers: my optional threaded dampers in aluminum alloy are in good state but it miss a lot of oil.

On advices of Laurent from Yankee-Legend, I will put an oil from 5000 to 6000 to run with the green springs (intermediate stiffness)
Rowhider

Post by Rowhider »

Other thing interesting for somone who want to convert its Yankee in Brushless: I received my conversion parts too!

You have to know that Yankee-Legend work a lot on a conversion kit designed firstly of cars motorized by a Yankee F7. For other cars, some are currently available in brushless, the simpler would to directly ask to Yankee

The ensemble, once assembled is composed of few parts:
- An interface plate to support whole parts.
- A motor flange, machinned in a strong aluminum alloy with a ball bearing for the transmission axis.
- A transmission axis (coming from Racing 97 chassis)
- A chain pinion
- A main gear for the primary transmission (48 teeth )
- An axial stopper
In 10 min, all is complete!

With the motor:

In the current state, nothing has been torqued : I remark than the main gear is clashing with the screw head of the rear train. To solve that, I mounted the main gear in the opposite.

I just need to perform a little tuning but all parts are perfectly adjusted. I’m very impressed by that: you just have to remember that this car was a factory racing prototype, and brushless conversion parts are prototype too. But everything goes right: definitely impressed.
Rowhider

Post by Rowhider »

Once presented on the chassis of my 330P4 : nothing to add, that’s just perfect! :D

Al Gibson (QSL)
Legacy Member

Post by Al Gibson (QSL) »

the car is coming along nicely, thanks for sharing your progress!
Rowhider

Post by Rowhider »

For this week-end: installation of ESC and receiver

My ESC is directly screwed on the body support. I've put to bond some little silent-blocks below to avoid vibrations to kill my electronic

That's looking not so bad

Purchase order for Lipos done yesterday, end of the car conversion soon :D
Rowhider

Post by Rowhider »

I have decided to test my new soldering iron, bought to be capable to weld correctly and without any pain big wires of 8 AWG provided with my Beast 200A

Conclusion : I’m very happy with. It was my biggest concern, because I had some bad experiences for welding big diameter wires with a low power soldering iron

I’ve taken a soldering gun from ERSA: MULTI SPRINT 150 W. Very good and not expensive.
Emilio
1/4 Scale Legend!

Post by Emilio »

Very nice project you have. The Yankee P4 330 is an outstanding machine, I just finished up mine not long ago. These bodies are screaming for the tiny little details that make a big difference in appearance, this is purely my opinion. Here are some photos of mine and hope they can spark ideas if you need any.
Attachments
p43301.jpg
p43304.jpg
p43303.jpg
p43302.jpg
Kaye
1/4 scale GOD

Post by Kaye »

Good detail work Emilio, particularly on the headlight covers.
Emilio
1/4 Scale Legend!

Post by Emilio »

Thank you Kaye :)
Rowhider

Post by Rowhider »

Emilio wrote:Very nice project you have. The Yankee P4 330 is an outstanding machine, I just finished up mine not long ago. These bodies are screaming for the tiny little details that make a big difference in appearance, this is purely my opinion. Here are some photos of mine and hope they can spark ideas if you need any.
Very nice one! I'm currently thinking about my new body rendering, I will add a lot of little details.
I currently have a mesh at the front air inlet, but not at other opening.
Do you own a 3304P with an ABS body: red external body and an internal transparent body for windows, mine is in Polycarbonate manufactured in one-shot: Lighter but not easy to decorate!
Rowhider

Post by Rowhider »

Hello, electronic assembly completed to 95%

That let me three very important tasks to perform:
- To bond double-face adhesive tape under by receiver box
- To put Velcro adhesive tape under lipos
- To put batteries in charge