Need help

Lets talk about 1/4 scale cars here!!
Lovedr
Legacy Member

Need help

Post by Lovedr »

Hello everyone:
This is my first time posting to this site although I visit it frequently. its way cool!!! Anyway, I just bought a New Era 1/4 scale monster truck which I've been looking for along time. Finally!!!! The truck is not in the greatest shape but will do. it has 4 air shocks. There the same thing used on real car hatchback doors I think. Anyway they do not look very good and I want to get 8 real shocks like the ones the truck came with or something similar. If anyone can be of any help, please let me know. Your time and effort will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Wael
jackman

Post by jackman »

Wael, what is the eye to eye demensions?and wait of the machine?i did find some shocks with resivores and oil damping that are 153 mm hole to hole.you can always get stronger springs if needed.travel is 45mm.
don't race it if you don't want someone or yourself to back you in the fence.
Lovedr
Legacy Member

Post by Lovedr »

Hi Jack:
thanks for your help, but the shocks that came with the truck were 9.5 inches. so I need something in that range. the length of the truck is about 48 inches and total weight is about 100 lb. the 153 mm shock is only about 6 inches which is not close enough. but your help is greatly appreciated.
thanks
Wael :) :D :D
jackman

Post by jackman »

Wael,they sure would come up short.i wonder if the bicycle shop would have something?with all the mountain bike stuff?gosh i think the shocks on my daughters quad are about that length.i'll check them tomarrow.or check out some of the go ped sites.or those pocket bikes maybe.but in the mean time i'll keep an eye out .
mike
jackman

Post by jackman »

Wael,i just went out to the trailer and checked them the fronts are 8 1/2 and the rear is 9 inches.the quad is a kasea mini 50.they make a so called regular 50 that is just a scosh bigger.i bet they would be real close.the springs look like they would be real easy to change to a lighter one. :idea: :?:
Mike Casey
Legacy Member

Post by Mike Casey »

lovedr, those shocks are super hard to find. If you want exact replacements, best bet is to try to build them yourself. The originals were really cheesy. Really just threaded tube with a compression fitting put into the end for the shaft to go thru. I could send you pics of my shocks so you could see how they are, but only if you send me pics of your truck. :D
www.quarterscalelegends.com The Awesome history of 1/4 scale!!
Lovedr
Legacy Member

Post by Lovedr »

Thanks jack:
about those quad shocks, whats the width on them? because I think there going to be be too thick. I want to use 8 shocks because they would look much cooler. I'm not sure what the width has to be in order to fit 8 of them. I think mike would know. I will serach the web and try and find the width of these quad shocks. in the mean time can you tell me what the width on yours is please on the quad.
thanks
Wael
Lovedr
Legacy Member

Post by Lovedr »

Hay mike:
I will send you some pics. please send me detailed pics. I currently searching all over the web with no luck yet...
thanks
Wael
Mike Casey
Legacy Member

Post by Mike Casey »

I will take them off by this weekend and shoot some pics. I need to rebuild them, so this will give me a excuse.
mike
Lovedr
Legacy Member

Post by Lovedr »

by the way mike, are your shocks the cheesy ones? LOL :D :D
Mike Casey
Legacy Member

Post by Mike Casey »

Yea, they are the original new era ones.
jackman

Post by jackman »

Wael,just went to the hauler and checked them i should of thought of that last night.width of the mount with bushing is 3/4".the shock body is 3/4" and shaft is 1/4".and the spring retainer is easy to get off to change to a lighter spring.these lil quads only weigh 135 lbs.but mike is right you can make some too.that just adds to the fun.