Post a picture of your first RC car.

If you have an RC that is not 1/4 Scale you can still post here for full range discussion on all types.
Mike Casey
Legacy Member

Re: Post a picture of your first RC car.

Post by Mike Casey »

My first was a tyco sprint car that lasted only christmas day in a wet parking lot. The next week, my parents brought home a Kangaroo! :)

www.quarterscalelegends.com The Awesome history of 1/4 scale!!
PaulSongas
1/4 scale guru

Post by PaulSongas »

Bolink funny car.

After drag racing slot cars for a number of years, I happened to come across RC drag racing by accident online one day. Went down to the local track and the first pass I saw was Roy Andersons kid Nick run his AA Dragster. Left like a rocket but got loose just before the lights and hit the timing system ramp at 70+ and it flew about 50 feet. Being the drag racing fan that I am, I was hooked!!! :mrgreen: Went to the local hobby shop the next day and picked up a Bolink Funny Car and a couple Protoform bodies and went to work. I told myself I'll just get one car and and go race every once in awhile..... Now I own the freakin race track. :roll:

Here is the car, complete with the awful green compound stock rear tires.

Extra Body

NHRA # P582
M.R. Ogle

Post by M.R. Ogle »

My first RC car was a Yokomo Dogfighter, bought from a local racer. It was over-horsepowered and handled badly due to installation of an "improvement" front mono-shock. Fast as heck, but I could never win with this car. Parts availability was an issue, too, so I switched to:
This Gold-chassis, chain-drive Kyosho Optima, which I converted to on-road by limiting the shock travel and installing foam tires. Did real good with that car, because I had more traction than most on the dusty parking lots where we raced. Still have the body to that one downstairs.
c103110
1/4 scale guru

Post by c103110 »

My first car was a used, 1/12th scale, stick controlled, POS, that I found in the Bargain News Paper - around 1990. I can't recall why the heck I bought it, because my father was always into RC planes. It originally came with a pure-white Porsche something body that I immediately tossed in the garbage. I put together a Pro Mod-style car that I beat the heck out of in the parking lots. I then went to a 1/10th scale Parma Hemi Coupe, which I also beat the heck out of, but with many different bodies. The next picture is my first 1/4 scale that I also ran the heck out of. On that, I learned that a fail safe was a good thing to have.

After work today, (4-May-2011), I mowed the lawn and spread some stone while my present R/C cars simply sat in the house completely unmolested.

-Nice thread.
Attachments
Pro Mod - Hemi Coupe
Pro Mod - Hemi Coupe
1/4 Scale
1/4 Scale
eightman
Legacy Member

Post by eightman »

this was my 1st
an italian off road 1:8 nitro, 4x2 without diff and hard springs... i never managed to drive it straight! :lol:
Attachments
stefdevilweb.jpg
1:4 scale racing in France : V H R C
faceb..k quarterscale drivers group
my stuff : RC bodies
M.R. Ogle

Post by M.R. Ogle »

I can totally identify with the concrete parking block altercations. Those things are to RC cars like Tornadoes are to trailer parks.

The ice cream cone thing.... well, that's totally a new one. Never heard of that method of destruction.
cryo-tek
1/4 scale guru

Post by cryo-tek »

I think my first RC car was this GT Racer. It has a single button controller. Pushing the button step through forward, stop, reverse with right turn, stop, and back to forward. One step with each push of the button. It still works! :lol: My Dad also had one so he put my name on the rear fender.

Of course I continued with RC and have the typical cars like the Tamiya Rough Rider, Lamborghini CS and Kyosho Optima. They’ve all been relinquished to the second floor of the barn. :wink:

OMG :shock: The GT Racer box is dated 1967. Time flies by:o
Attachments
1st RC cars.JPG
1st RC car2.JPG
1st RC car3.JPG
rr 2.JPG
rr 3.JPG
Venomusss
1/4 scale guru

Post by Venomusss »

Wow, Took me a while to find a picture of one. This thing sucked! you had left & right steering. Once you got the 49 engine started. you put the car down and steered it until it ran out of fuel. You hope the batteries did not die and the range was terrible. A tiny rock in the parking lot was enough to make it stop.

bobjeffreson
1/4 scale GOD

Post by bobjeffreson »

This was my introduction to RC cars. The year was 1983 and I found a club that raced 1/10th scale sprintcars around a dirt oval in Sydney. Went out and purchased 2 Marui Hunters, one for me and one for my then business partner. Converted them into these sprinters........

Al Gibson (QSL)
Legacy Member

Post by Al Gibson (QSL) »

My first RC was a Boomerang (1986)
The Boomerang was an affordable 4WD entry point for many first time RC Buyers. Slick and Simple livery nicely complimenting the wedge like body shell. It came in a kit form and I spent hours putting it together.
Attachments
Boomerang.jpg
Emilio
1/4 Scale Legend!

Post by Emilio »

My first were many, I must have purchased at least 2 or 3 a month, they were all the first gen Tamiya's from the super champ, ford f150 pick up, wild willy, etc. The blazing blazer and Toyota hilux were to expensive at the time, if I only knew how cheap they were back then compared to today :cry: I actually have photos but they're tucked away somewhere in mom's garage. These were great times! :D

P.S
Al I like the way the photo management is now!
Attachments
sc.jpg
Ford-Ranger.jpg
WW23-26-06004.jpg
Al Gibson (QSL)
Legacy Member

Post by Al Gibson (QSL) »

Nice!!