1/8 scale Indy roadster

If you have an RC that is not 1/4 Scale you can still post here for full range discussion on all types.
Emilio
1/4 Scale Legend!

1/8 scale Indy roadster

Post by Emilio »

Hey everyone

Won this auction on ebay, It is a handmade quick change rear axle crafted from brass in the early 60s. It is professionally built, bearings all around and axle shafts and drive shaft are untouched with extra length for tons of options for an application. Received the rear today and photos do not do this rear justice, it is an amazing piece of craftsmanship!

My plan now is to carefully alter the tail section of the Indy body to exploit the rear end. Once I establish the type of framework I want to fabricate (most likely an A.J. Watson chassis) I'm going to leave the body by it's side exposing the chassis and the beautiful components. Hope you enjoy the project as much as I'm going too! Thanks for looking.

Emilio
Attachments
rear1.jpg
rear2.jpg
rear3.jpg
rear4.jpg
rear5.jpg
Mike Casey
Legacy Member

Re: 1/8 scale Indy roadster

Post by Mike Casey »

very interesting design. Cool find!
www.quarterscalelegends.com The Awesome history of 1/4 scale!!
Emilio
1/4 Scale Legend!

Post by Emilio »

Thanks Mike. The one photo I took shows the drive shaft bearing not seated all the way in, I should have seated it before the photo shoot. An amazing little piece, again I find myself fortunate to have found this when I did. I'm going to try and find out more about it.

Emilio
Al Gibson (QSL)
Legacy Member

Post by Al Gibson (QSL) »

Emilio

Great find, i cant wait to see the finished car.
Emilio
1/4 Scale Legend!

Post by Emilio »

Thanks Al, I'm working on blueprints for a 1934 type frame rail and firewall, going to try the whole thing in brass and will give my impression on how strong and if feasible. Will have updates soon.
Emilio
1/4 Scale Legend!

Post by Emilio »

Hey folks just a mini update but I have pretty much the plan in high gear.I was going to build a custom chassis but decided to stick with the original, but only after slicing and dicing. I had to remove both rear cross members and slice out a section of the lower body tail to accommodate the QC rear, and grind down 1/4" off the rear chassis to fit inside the body cutout.

I will fabricate the rear suspension and will consist of, left and right outer layered leaf springs complete with shackles, lower spring plates and u-bolts. The front axle will consist of one coil spring and cups with supported left and right radius arms to hold the axle straight and sturdy and should function has an independent suspension, but this I will leave up in the air.

Lastly I will need to make the leather seat, windshield, engine mounts, and engine hood along with other details.Hope you find this project enjoyable as much as I do. Thanks for looking and feedback and insight are highly welcomed!

Emilio
Attachments
indy3.JPG
indy4.JPG
indy5.JPG
indy6.JPG
indy7.JPG
indy8.jpg
indy9.jpg
indy10.jpg
indy11.jpg
indy12.jpg