Quarterscale gets some tv airtime!!!

This is your place to post stories related to 1/4 scale. These could be experiences, historical stories or inside scoop of the old manufacturers!!
Mike Casey
Legacy Member

Quarterscale gets some tv airtime!!!

Post by Mike Casey »

Not much of a story, but here I go...

I received a phone call one day and I ignored it as I usually do during the day. This person kept calling so I finally answered it. They asked me if i was familiar with auction style shows. I told them, that I was and that I watch quite a few of them. They then proceeded to tell me that they would like to speak to me, however I needed to sign a NDA agreement first. I was very skeptical and told them to email me and perhaps I would look at it.

After receiving the email, Julie and I discussed it at length and decided there was no harm in signing the agreement to hear what they had to say. So I signed it and faxed it back.

I received another phone call the next day from the same person, she was the producer of Auction Hunters and wanted to interview me for being an "expert". We set up a time and they came out to my home with a small video crew and I did an audition tape. I was really nervous and did not fully understand what they were looking for. They just told me to tell them the history of the cars and a bit about myself.

The crew told me they would be in contact and they left. Over the next couple weeks I received calls from other guys deep into Qscale telling me that a TV show was looking for an expert and they kept referring them to me. I was very humbled when the show called and said, well, we think your probably the most qualified to do this episode!!!

Another small crew came out weeks later and did a practice run. Tought me some ins and outs of what to do and how to act. It was quite fun and we still have this on video today (although I can't share due to the NDA).

Over the next weeks, i received a lot of calls and emails. They kept rescheduling the taping date until one night they called and said, we are on for tomorrow! They gave me the location and I was to be there at 8am.

Julie went with me just so she could witness how a show was filmed. From the moment we arrived we were welcomed by the crew in every way. Very nice people and very friendly. That really made the day great as we got to eat our meals (which they provided) with them and enjoy their stories. This was actually the last taping of the season so many were looking on their phones trying to score a new assignment.

We saw Allen and Ton arrive to the set. However we were not allowed to talk to them because the directors want you to meet for the first time on tape.

Taping went really weird... Basically they say roll and they never stop. You pretty much do the whole show in one very, very, very long cut. In the end they do some filler to fix anything that may be missing. But none of it was scripted. You were free to say what you wanted. Unfortunately they cut out a lot of my really funny, not appropriate for TV comments. But I sure had a fun time teasing Allen and Ton.

Ton really knew RC and could drive well. He also has RC stuff at home. Allen did not really know a lot about them and was a crazy maniac driver as you can see on the episode. Some of the shots on the show however were me driving to fill in some gaps.

It was a full 12 hour day of taping for just a few minutes of airtime. It was really fun and another great adventure in Qscale for me. I will never forget it.
Attachments
auction hunters2.jpg
auction hunters2-3.jpg
auction hunters2-2.jpg
auction hunters2-1.jpg
auction hunters-4.jpg
auction hunters-3.jpg
auction hunters-2.jpg
auction hunters.jpg
auction hunters-1.jpg
www.quarterscalelegends.com The Awesome history of 1/4 scale!!
Al Gibson (QSL)
Legacy Member

Re: Quarterscale gets some tv airtime!!!

Post by Al Gibson (QSL) »

Pretty cool stuff!!
vwguru75
1/4 scale guru

Post by vwguru75 »

You can have the TV fame Mike, I'll take the flag girl.
Craig's List..............eBay for people that can't spell.
fuzzymuff

Post by fuzzymuff »

Hi Mike.
Did you actually buy the monster truck that you looked at in the show.
Graham
Mike Casey
Legacy Member

Post by Mike Casey »

Yes. I have it still
www.quarterscalelegends.com The Awesome history of 1/4 scale!!