Fuels

Post anything here that has to do with 1/4 scale engines and tuning.
boostinallovryou

Fuels

Post by boostinallovryou »

Anybody play with different fuels? Ethanol, Methanol, Nitromethane. Would like to hear what your experience has been. Obviously you can't just change fuel. Carb modifications, timing changes, etc are necessary. But would like to hear what kind of horsepower increases people saw.
mad62
1/4 scale guru

Re: Fuels

Post by mad62 »

boostinallovryou wrote:Anybody play with different fuels? Ethanol, Methanol, Nitromethane. Would like to hear what your experience has been. Obviously you can't just change fuel. Carb modifications, timing changes, etc are necessary. But would like to hear what kind of horsepower increases people saw.
hi,
there are carbs that have been modded for methanol you can buy,i design and race hydros,we modd our engines,advance the timings,porting,etc it depends upon what you want from your engine,torque or rpm,there is alot of info out there in regards to engine mods,there are modded 25 cc engines producing over 7 - 7 1/2 hp,these are marine engines but these mods can apply to car engines,even fuel / oil ratio mixes can make big gains in engine performance,

cheers mike
boostinallovryou

Post by boostinallovryou »

Over 7 HP!! AWESOME! I guess I'm going to want something in the middle ground. I mean I don't want a car that crushes out of the hole but has nothing upstairs, and I sure don't want a car that is a monster on the big end but lazy in a turn. Do you have any links to sites discussing porting? That seems to be the only thing I don't know about. Oh BTW what compression ratio do you run? Also the info I saw about raising CR said that you mill some off the bottom of the cylinder. But if you do that, aren't you advancing the port timing?

Thanks,
Chad
mad62
1/4 scale guru

Post by mad62 »

boostinallovryou wrote:Over 7 HP!! AWESOME! I guess I'm going to want something in the middle ground. I mean I don't want a car that crushes out of the hole but has nothing upstairs, and I sure don't want a car that is a monster on the big end but lazy in a turn. Do you have any links to sites discussing porting? That seems to be the only thing I don't know about. Oh BTW what compression ratio do you run? Also the info I saw about raising CR said that you mill some off the bottom of the cylinder. But if you do that, aren't you advancing the port timing?

Thanks,
Chad
hi chad,
thats called decking the head,there are several ways to do this without milling ,there are stroker cranks 1mm,2mm these increase compression,we even drop our head gaskets down to 2 thou,there is a engine we are running at the moment which is 25 cc and is 5.2 hp out of the box and alot of torque,they are producing a air cooled head for this which would be great for the cars and planes,etc as far as links, modelgasboats.com has engine modds on it,so does jims radio control boat dock (jrcbd.com) you just have to watch advancing your timing to far as this will rob you of torque,widening the ports also increases engine power but also effects the port timings sometimes depending what you do,running a stroker crank ,shimming and decking the head all change the timing duratation.weve had some of our motors reving over 21,000 +
great for running props in hydros at high speed but for the cars you would want a torquer engine with about 17,000 - 18,000 rmp,this would be a quick car especially if in a drag car,
there is alot of info around on this and alot of different opinions,this is just my thoughts on this,
hope this has answered some of your questions,

cheers mike
Muddy
Legacy Member

Post by Muddy »

I chatted to some fellas on the "saw forum, and a guy there was banging on about putting mothballs in the gasoline....I dunno if that's really gonna do anything to the volatility.

I also have spoken to the fellas at the KTM workshop, they reckon buy the best pump gas (which is around 95 - 98 RON) add a race spec oil, and 5% benzene. Makes the bikes insane.

I haven't personally done any of this.
I use Shell V power (98RON) 2T oil for bikes..that's it. Seems to do the job OK, without changing other things, which I just don't wanna do.

You have experimented with an exhaust "pipe"?

I only have an ol' beat up used chainsaw for a motor, but it gets to 17,280 RPM.
Go hard...or GO HOME!!!