Testing Correct Compression on Raco Engines

Post anything here that has to do with 1/4 scale engines and tuning.
Venomusss
1/4 scale guru

Testing Correct Compression on Raco Engines

Post by Venomusss »

I have about 8 or 9 Raco Zenoah G2D engines. I figured while I am taking another break from polishing my ALuminum Rear Arms :roll: , I would go through them and start testing and rebuilding.
First I figured I would check the compression on each.
According to the Raco Engine manual I posted, it shows the compression should be a normal of 71 psi and a low of 43 psi. I had one engine that spun by hand with much less compression than the others so I tested it first. The compression is 71 to 72 psi - perfect , just as the manual states.
Then I tested another 5 engines and they are all in the 130 psi area. :?
Maybe I am testing wrong. I am using a Craftsman engine compression tester that threads into the spark plug hole. I have taken off the exhaust and carb. I then use a cordless drill to crank the flywheel. I don't see a big margin of error in doing this.................
Did Raco ever build some cars with domed or higher compression pistons?
WHen I last ordered parts from Raco in 1993, I wanted to buy an extra piston and rings to have. They told me all they had was a higher performance piston upgrade. So, I bought it and the rings. I still have them in the box. They are RedMax Genuine Parts by Komatsu Zenoah.
Does anyone know what the compression should be on Zenoah G2D Raco engines with this upgrade?
I highly doubt that of the 6 engines I have tested so far , that I have 5 with the higher compression piston upgrade.
Any comments or help would be appreciated.
Thanks, Chris