How big can I go?

Post anything here that has to do with 1/4 scale engines and tuning.
boostinallovryou

How big can I go?

Post by boostinallovryou »

So the quarter scale bug bit me again and this time it sunk its teeth in. I grabbed my Raco Super Modified I and completely tore her down. I wont get into restoration stuff here because it's not the place, but I would like to know what the largest/fastest motor I can put into this car is? It seems Zenoah makes single cylinder motors up to 62cc but the only two that have a fan, shielding around the cylinder to direct the air, labeled as a car engine, etc are the G23 and G26. Has anybody experimented with putting a big motor in a Raco?
Mike Casey
Legacy Member

Re: How big can I go?

Post by Mike Casey »

ONIEL brothers makes a very nice air cooled twin that would bolt in with just modification to the gas tank. another option is the BZM Micro. They are beasts of an engine and will bolt in with really no mods at all.
www.quarterscalelegends.com The Awesome history of 1/4 scale!!
boostinallovryou

QSL wrote:ONIEL brothers makes a very nice air cooled twin that would bolt in with just modification to the gas tank. another option is the BZM Micro. They are beasts of an engine and will bolt in with really no mods at all.
Awesome! I'll google ONIEL and BZM and check them out. Thanks for the tip.

Chad
NYCdragRacer
1/4 scale guru

Post by NYCdragRacer »

We have a guy in our club that had a Solo 54cc in his Raco Grand national, although I never seen him run it, it did fit with no problem.
They have tons of torque but don't rev very high.
Something cool in that would be a Trevor Simpson 30.5 reed case motor, that raco revving upto 22k RPM's would be ridiculous.
I am in the middle of setting up a Pro stock with this same engine, it would be real cool in that Raco as well.
QAman
1/4 scale guru

Post by QAman »

One thing you might also look into is how to mount a clutch to the engine you get. Alot of the engines out there dont have clutches designed for them.
boostinallovryou

QAman wrote:One thing you might also look into is how to mount a clutch to the engine you get. Alot of the engines out there dont have clutches designed for them.
That's another great point. Also does anybody make aftermarket clutches? I'm sure that as you start making more steam you might need a more aggressive clutch lining. The lining that come off my stock setup was already hurtin for certin.
Mike Casey
Legacy Member

Post by Mike Casey »

1/5 scale guys have a few trick clutches. Stay away from solo because it will be very hard to get a clutch housing on it. But the other options i mentioned will bolt right to the raco gearbox.
www.quarterscalelegends.com The Awesome history of 1/4 scale!!