Engine start problem

Post anything here that has to do with 1/4 scale engines and tuning.
Fargophil

Engine start problem

Post by Fargophil »

Had an interesting issue the other day. I was tuning my Raco GN in the driveway, making sure it would run before taking it out for a spin and it ran perfect. Let it warm up then hit the kill switch to shut it off. Couple of days later I took it to the local ball field parking lot and when I got there fueled it up and primed it an the primer bulb disintegrated under my finger. Considering the age I wasn't that upset. Took it home and pulled the carb off and put on a mew bulb. Primed the engine and it would not start, no pop, no run out the prime. Absolutely dead. Took the car to the basement where it was darker and could see no spark when I pulled the starter. Making an already long story slightly shorter the issue was the kill switch had hung up when I turned it off the prior day. Hit it with WD-40 and moved it several times and the engine fired right over. In all the years of dealing with these cars this is the first time I have ever seen the kill switch foul up. Definitely will remember that for later.
a187lbird
1/4 scale guru

Re: Engine start problem

Post by a187lbird »

cool thanks for sharing... it is one of those things a lot of us would probably over look ... I know I would be guilty of buying a carb rebuild kit before checking the kill switch.
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together.