1/4 scale mini pick up

Post your custom large scale projects completed or not here. These are home builds. No factory or mass produced cars please.
oldskoollews

1/4 scale mini pick up

Post by oldskoollews »

Hi, and welcome to my 1/4 scale mini pick up build! its not quite up to the detail you guys build, as its my 1st ever attempt, and its all made using 1.2mm sheet steel, no fibreglass in this build! i have a classic mini saloon which i have been taking measurements from and simply dividing them by 4...

started with a bonnet..

i then made a saloon bootlid (this was before i decided on building a pick up)

i also made a door skin, the 3 panels i made 1st

then i started on the floor pan..

the wheels are way to small, hence me ending up on this site looking for 1/4 scale wheels lol

in the last few days ive made the roll cage and today i started on the door shuts

thats it up to date, ill be running a 50cc pocket bike engine, mid mounted and rwd!

all comments welcome, good or bad :)
CALracing
1/4 scale guru

Re: 1/4 scale mini pick up

Post by CALracing »

Looks Good, you need to give yourself more credit for your talent. Geoff
oldskoollews

Post by oldskoollews »

Thanks for the 1st comment! It's my 1st attempt so not brilliant but I hope to use this one as a learning curve for the next 1!
bobjeffreson
1/4 scale GOD

Post by bobjeffreson »

oldskool,
Welcome to the site.
Looking great! Keep us posted on the rest of the build.
oldskoollews

Post by oldskoollews »

Thanks for the welcome! Should have all the body work sorted by next week if my sheet steel turns up! The running gear is based on a go-kart, so solid rear axle and no suspension, but this is my 1st build, which only can be improved upon in my next build! Glad you guys like what I have done so far, was worried that it would be shunned as poor work and ignored lol phew! :-)
Mike Casey
Legacy Member

Post by Mike Casey »

I think this is awesome! very cool indeed.
www.quarterscalelegends.com The Awesome history of 1/4 scale!!
oldskoollews

Post by oldskoollews »

Thanks! One day I hope to be as good as you guys with the detail, especially on the suspension/drivetrain side of things, I'm also on a virtually non exsistant budget, so far it's cost me about £50, roughly $80? and shouldn't cost much more than £100 ($130?) seeing the budgets and the things you make/produce/buy this is a cheap alternative lol the roll cage is made from a recycled childs stairgate too! But I think I'd I build another it too will have an all steel shell, much quicker and cheaper to knock together than fibreglass.
oldskoollews

Post by oldskoollews »

yeah thats basically what im building, i did look for an engine that would fit up front, but for love nor money could i find 1, plus, my budget is virtually non-exsistant so using what ever i have to hand, which happened to be a 50cc pocket bike engine, mid mounted for even weight distribution, i will however build a dummy engine for up front to make it look the part when lifting the bonnet :)
oldskoollews

Post by oldskoollews »

for all those who are following this build ;)

old small wheel vs new bigger wheel...

these bigger wheels suit the look much better, but means im gonna have to make 1/4 scale arches ;)
Annihilator

Post by Annihilator »

very cool little project you got going on there
oldskoollews

Post by oldskoollews »

Cheers! It's coming along nicely now, pace is picking up regarding getting the rolling chassis sorted, then it's steering and electrics before taking it all apart again for paint
oldskoollews

Post by oldskoollews »

I am indeed, very much like the set up on a go-kart, keeping this one very simple, should be interesting to drive, will drift easily with this set up too which should be entertaining to say the least!
CALracing
1/4 scale guru

Post by CALracing »

Keep at it , looking Good. :)
Mike Casey
Legacy Member

Post by Mike Casey »

Just shows you dont need to spend a lot to have something to be proud of. I love seeing this stuff.
www.quarterscalelegends.com The Awesome history of 1/4 scale!!
oldskoollews

Post by oldskoollews »

Only thing holding me back from progressing is the lack of sheet steel, waiting on my supplier to deliver the goods then I can crack on with the build! Still, I have next week off work to get this built up and also my full sized mini built back up ready for summer driving!