Super mod converted to a 1961 Lotus Jr project.

Post your custom large scale projects completed or not here. These are home builds. No factory or mass produced cars please.
Bobby Dodger
1/4 scale guru

Re: Super mod converted to a 1961 Lotus Jr project.

Post by Bobby Dodger »

Whoa, that is an exciting project, I look forward to your progress reports. Are you going to make a Lotus body?

Cheers
Rick F
fuzzymuff

Post by fuzzymuff »

Hi Funky.
I am sure there are blueprints for this car on the internet....One site has approx 2000 cars listed.I will see if I can find them for you.
Graham
a187lbird
1/4 scale guru

Post by a187lbird »

Cool build... But I hope it doesn't interfere with the IROC Camaro project :violent2: :D
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together.
Bobby Dodger
1/4 scale guru

Post by Bobby Dodger »

Pretty much the way they laid out the first Cobra coupe chassis - sat Ken Miles on the floor with a steering wheel in his hands and started drawing chalk lines on the concrete :)

Cheers
Rick F
Mike Casey
Legacy Member

Post by Mike Casey »

funk, your a mad man.

I love it!!!
www.quarterscalelegends.com The Awesome history of 1/4 scale!!
Bobby Dodger
1/4 scale guru

Post by Bobby Dodger »

Not meaning to hijack the thread but this is still somewhat relevant. You guys will appreciate this:
http://www.davemacdonald.net/gallery/cl ... uction.htm
Scroll down

Cheers
Rick F
Bobby Dodger
1/4 scale guru

Post by Bobby Dodger »

We await your reports with bated breath

Cheers
Rick F
a187lbird
1/4 scale guru

Post by a187lbird »

Yes that is a good looking car. I think sheet metal would be really cool, but fiberglass would probably be easier. The cool thing with sheet metal is even unpainted it holds a high level of awesomeness. :D
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together.
Bobby Dodger
1/4 scale guru

Post by Bobby Dodger »

It really would be nice in aluminum. Worth taking time to really nail the shape. For inspiration, rent a copy of the movie "Grand Prix" with James Garner, heh

Cheers
Rick F
fuzzymuff

Post by fuzzymuff »

Funky.
Have you thought about having the body 3D printed. When your wooden buck is finished you can get it scanned and any good print company should be able to print that for you.
Graham
a187lbird
1/4 scale guru

Post by a187lbird »

3D printing costs way more than a regular mold. Especially something over 2 feet long and having to scan it first. An architectural company here in Miami just paid over 10k for an 18 inch long by 24 inch wide by 3 inch high 3D printed blueprint of a proposed floor plan for an attorneys office across the street from me. And the cost was that "low" because the architectural company provided the 3D CAD files. Yes you can find cheaper 3D printing but odds are they can not print over 11 inch wide by 6 inch long by 6 inch high.
Bobby Dodger
1/4 scale guru

Post by Bobby Dodger »

Emilio you really have the eye :). This may be of help with the molding - lots of info on the web:
http://www.cstsales.com/fiberglass_mold_instr.html

Cheers
Rick F
fuzzymuff

Post by fuzzymuff »

Hi Funky.
I have done a lot of fiberglass work....I personally would paint the pattern in 2 coat paint in black gloss .This will show up any imperfections in your pattern...And when finished you will only need to wax it 3 to 4 times so your gel coat on your mould will release real easy without damaging your pattern.
Graham
Bobby Dodger
1/4 scale guru

Post by Bobby Dodger »

Sorry to hear it Funk, but don't dwell on it. Use this as an opportunity to make it even better! She'll come good!

Cheers
Rick F
fuzzymuff

Post by fuzzymuff »

Hi Funky.
If you want first class results there are NO SHORT CUTS....
People will tell you that all you need is an aerosol spray release agent....These are ok but still have a tendency to damage the finish on the master pattern. Also leave you with a second rate finish on your mould.
You need to go online and look for a release wax. Apply at least 3 coats minimum with a really good polish in-between each coat. The more you put on the better it will release. Maximum 5 coats. You may find this a bit tedious but your finished mould will be worth the effort.
Also when you lay up the mould leave it on the pattern for at least 3 days. Do not rush to remove the mould as this will give you some form of distortion. PATIENCE...
When you are ready to mould your body you will only need to polish the mould with at least 3 coats of wax the same as the master pattern. Your body should remove from the mould very easily. Leaving you an excellent surface on the body...