How to finish a gilmer midget racer

Post your custom large scale projects completed or not here. These are home builds. No factory or mass produced cars please.
rc garage berlin
1/4 scale guru

Re: How to finish a gilmer midget racer

Post by rc garage berlin »

Hi Emilio,

I realy enjoy looking at Pictures than reading long conversation :-)
I Need more Details. There is not much space. I think that is the reason that Mr. Gilmer made the SideWinder. Without CAD Engineering I would never be able to finish it.
Emilio
1/4 Scale Legend!

Post by Emilio »

Hi Rc,
Just received my Gilmer today and will have to redo the engine area for sure. Will you be selling any of your CAD work for the Gilmer? Thanks Rc.
rc garage berlin
1/4 scale guru

Hi Emilio,

i knew that this question will come one day. It was a lot oft work no one could pay me for.
Even Mr. Gilmer has no 3D files of his gilmer. With this Information you could built complete Midget racers.

I think I can not sell it. But maybe I can help you finishing your car. It would be also nice to see other Solutions.
Emilio
1/4 Scale Legend!

Post by Emilio »

Hi Rc,

I've decided to keep the Gilmer and restore it. My knowledge on Rc engines and how they correspond with the drivetrain is very minimal for me in the RC application department and hope I don't have to go too deep to make this Gilmer functional.

From my point of view, I would have just add a sprocket to the rear axel and a smaller sprocket on the crank with no clutch or reduction gizmo just push and go, Is this even possible, what solutions do I have in such a tiny area? Also I'm going to eliminate the pull start for the use of a drill tool to turn the crank providing I can install a clutch. Thanks Rc.

Emilio
Attachments
gilmer3engine.jpg
gilmer2engine.jpg
gilmer1engine.jpg
Mike Casey
Legacy Member

Post by Mike Casey »

MCMASTER CARR will have everything you need.
www.quarterscalelegends.com The Awesome history of 1/4 scale!!
Emilio
1/4 Scale Legend!

Post by Emilio »

Thanks Mike never went to or knew about that site. Some of the stuff I browsed actually looked like some of the hardware I had in my Gilmer at one time. I have my Gilmer on ebay again, I just purchased another Gilmer that Jan put on ebay over the weekend. I want a clean slate to start if I decide to get the running gear in the future, and MCMASTER looks like the site!
Emilio
1/4 Scale Legend!

Post by Emilio »

Hi Rc,

Is that clutch and cogs custom made? Can anyone purchase something similar? Thanks

Emilio
rc garage berlin
1/4 scale guru

Hi Emilio,
I buy some of the parts at

http://www.maedler.de/product/1643/1616 ... htd-profil

The clutch is custom made...
rc garage berlin
1/4 scale guru

Some parts were taken from a Lauterbacher clutch. You need one with no spring in the middle.
Emilio
1/4 Scale Legend!

Post by Emilio »

Thanks Rc:

We need photos of the actual lay out of the drivetrain that Gilmer used with the saito twin 90 and Kawasaki TG 20. I want to avoid cutting into the chassis. I don't know what to look for as far as sizes and hardware go?

Anyone have photos of Gilmers lay out?

Anyway, there's a company that does custom CNC work in New Jersey that is going to look at making hubs and rear shaft adapters for my quarter mortar Raco Indy BBS rims, most likely I would like to show them the Gilmer for a possible solution on a drivetrain?
Emilio
1/4 Scale Legend!

Post by Emilio »

Hope you don't mind continuing the conversation Rc? I have a brand new Gilmer untouched U-finish model and sold my other Gilmer on ebay. I dug into the QSL archives and found a thread Mike.C and Bobby dogger talking about how to get a saito engine and driveline in Bobbys Gilmer.

Turns out that Gilmer contacted Bobby and gave the website that carries the two-way right angle gear box. Problem is I wouldn't know what size to get? Rc maybe if you click the link and check out the dimensions you could figure it out?

As for the adapters to fit the shaft on the gearbox and crank shaft on the saito, I could always find something or have it made. Thanks Rc

https://www.zero-max.com/cbb-two-way-ri ... le-gearbox
Attachments
My new Gilmer
My new Gilmer
My new Gilmer
My new Gilmer
Emilio
1/4 Scale Legend!

Post by Emilio »

Rc you could see the two-way right angle gearbox in this photo, seems to fit without cutting into the body?
Attachments
gilmer00002 (2).jpg
Emilio
1/4 Scale Legend!

Post by Emilio »

I think this overall size gearbox will work? I think I'm going to go with an Abitar overhead cam engine, both this gearbox and engine looks to fit the gilmer without cutting the body or chassis, but a few drilled holes, and run a chain and sprocket on the gearboxx and axle.
Attachments
Abitar Predator.jpg
6456k110l.gif
rc garage berlin
1/4 scale guru

Hallo Emilio,

they have CAD Files for that gearbox so it would be easy for me to place it in my assembly. Then we know if it fits, but you need a Login to download. Could you please download the file of the gearbox you want to use and send it to my Mailadress?
rc garage berlin
1/4 scale guru

So Gearbox ZERO MAX-C104806 seemes to be too large ...
Attachments
Unbenannt.JPG