1/4 scale Lotus 49 Jim Clark version

Post your custom large scale projects completed or not here. These are home builds. No factory or mass produced cars please.
Emilio
1/4 Scale Legend!

1/4 scale Lotus 49 Jim Clark version

Post by Emilio »

Hey folks, since starting this build I had the thread deleted for personal reasons, like, not liking the direction it was going. This thread will be with more care taking into consideration. Hope who follows understands. I'm not going to do a step by step, just portions of what might be interesting. Anyway, the rear section of the racer is getting near completion along with all the details, still need to add the rear upper torsion bar. I was going to save the nose section for last and try to tackle it myself but if this section is not done right there is no point in building this particular racer, purely my opinion, so I've decided to try and have a 3D print of my lotus 49 STEP file of the nose cone. I sent the file for a quote and waiting. I will update soon. Next I will take apart the rear section and clean and polish all components. Thanks for watching :)
Attachments
lotus engine 2.jpg
lotus engine 1.jpg
Screenshot (74).png
Screenshot (73).png
Kaye
1/4 scale GOD

Re: 1/4 scale Lotus 49 Jim Clark version

Post by Kaye »

Emilio: All good stuff. The exhaust is killer!
Emilio
1/4 Scale Legend!

Post by Emilio »

Thanks Kaye.
CALracing
1/4 scale guru

Post by CALracing »

looks good!
Emilio
1/4 Scale Legend!

Post by Emilio »

Thank you Cal. Here's a little tip or trick for a custom velocity stack for the folks who never tried one. Going into this build I wanted to fabricate as close as possible to the lotus 49 racer. As I don't have the DFV Cosworth engine with the iconic 8 stacks, I had to make my own staying within the boundaries.The stacks they sell on ebay are either to short or to long and the OD are why to large. So onto the tip/trick. You'll need an aluminum rod with your diameter of preference, the procedure is the same, a flat piece of aluminum for the flange and the carburetor gasket as a template for the flange. Map gas and a tool to shape the stack. Very little heat is needed, the rest is trial and error. After the fit is okay I will clean and polish. The sky is the limit to how many stacks you can make for that midget or sprint car hood. Hope you enjoy.
Attachments
stack 1.jpg
stack 2.jpg
stack 3.jpg
stack 4.jpg
stack 5.jpg
stack 6.jpg
Kaye
1/4 scale GOD

Post by Kaye »

Emilio: Great tip / thanks for sharing.
Emilio
1/4 Scale Legend!

Post by Emilio »

Thank you Kaye. As I wait for the quote on the 3D printed nose, I mocked up the nose cone I made previously but will need to redo it as it's not quite the shape I like but the length is correct, I also mocked up the front suspension which will have upper and lower control arms with spring loaded shocks. When it's all done I will clean all the welds and coat the chassis black and polish all aluminum. Thanks for looking :)
Attachments
top view nose 1.jpg
Mike Casey
Legacy Member

Post by Mike Casey »

Never thought about 3d printing. I have a printer in garage. Duh...
www.quarterscalelegends.com The Awesome history of 1/4 scale!!
Emilio
1/4 Scale Legend!

Post by Emilio »

The 3D company got back to me, but my step file is to large for their table, go figure? Anyway, the step file I have is the whole body head to toe but I have no idea how to separate the nose? This is how I purchased the step file. I contacted my source and waiting again. Can you do something Mike?
Mike Casey
Legacy Member

Post by Mike Casey »

you need a slicing tool.
Emilio
1/4 Scale Legend!

Post by Emilio »

Slicing tool in digital form or physical? A program that can modify the 3D object on screen?
Emilio
1/4 Scale Legend!

Post by Emilio »

I have to be careful with my Lotus 49 build, I have spies out there copying my concept, that's not really a spy, that's my cat Pebbles :D
Attachments
pebbles.jpg
Mike Casey
Legacy Member

Post by Mike Casey »

ha ha ha.

Digital slicing tool. Its used to cut up the format into smaller chunks to be 3d printed.
Emilio
1/4 Scale Legend!

Post by Emilio »

Mike I have no idea where to start? The 3D company provides a conversion table but when I chop it up or enter dimensions that fit, it turns out to be a 3 x 6" body? Sucks :(
Kaye
1/4 scale GOD

Post by Kaye »

Emilio wrote: October 18th, 2019, 8:53 am I have to be careful with my Lotus 49 build, I have spies out there copying my concept, that's not really a spy, that's my cat Pebbles :D
Lol .... I love it :)

Kaye