Raco Jac-Rabbit Aluminum Shock Towers New Photos

Post your custom home made components here. Rear ends, wheels, steering, etc. No mass produced of factory items please.
Venomusss
1/4 scale guru

Raco Jac-Rabbit Aluminum Shock Towers New Photos

Post by Venomusss »

Hi All,
Been lurking and reading before making a post. Great forum with lots of info and helpful people from what I can see.

I have been in and out of R/C for over 25 years. Once I got my first Jac-Rabbit "used" that is all I have played with. I sold off my perfect condition Jac-Rabbit years ago and kept a beater I got in pretty rough condition for really cheap money. The engine was in bad shape when I got it. Guy ran it with no air filter in the sand..... :shock:

Anyway, after quite a few years of it hanging from the ceiling in my garage, I took it down to do some work on it and get it working again.
The reason................. My new girlfriend has a young son that wants to get into R/C. I am going to start him with a Traxxas Stampede, but I need something to play with too. :D

Since the Jac-Rabbit is in just ok condition, I don't mind severely modding it to make it work. I got a brand new 22.5cc scooter engine for$60.00 on Ebay. I modded the Jac-rabbit and it fits great. A few parts swapped from the old Walbro carb ( much better quality than someof the new carb parts) and it was ready to test.
The engine started flawlessly and is tuned very well stock. I just did a few small runs around my yard and was surprised at the power and speed. It seems more powerful than my pristine Zenoah Jac-Rabbit that I had sold.
After the test run, back to the garage and swapped the stock muffler and filter for ones I purchased from Raco right before they shut down.

Next test run I did in the street in front of my house.. again the speed and power was much better than I expected.
Now for the bad part............ For the first time in all my years with R/C I had a runaway! It went past me on the street and then went wide open throttle. Thank god by the time it made it to the next block it had veered to the right. It was aiming for the front door of someones house and at the last second bounced to the right and hit some concrete blocks around a flower bed. The concrete blocks broke into quite a few pieces and the car hit the concrete wall of the house. Lucky for me no one was hurt.
When I got the car back to the garage, the nicad battery had totally failed, so no fail safe. the battery will not even hold a charge. :cry:

I have straightened the cage and the floor pan...but the shock towers need to be replaced. I am building new ones out of Aluminum. I will post some photos soon of the new Aluminum Shock Towers. :)

I also have another Jac-Rabbit to do a total restore on.
Venomusss
1/4 scale guru

Re: Raco Jac-Rabbit Aluminum Shock Towers New Photos

Post by Venomusss »

Sorry it has taken so long to post a photo. I have been really busy. I will post some more in a few days if I have a chance to put them on the car.