Some sheet metal work

Post your custom home made components here. Rear ends, wheels, steering, etc. No mass produced of factory items please.
RcBurnout
1/4 scale guru

Re: Some sheet metal work

Post by RcBurnout »

Ok.... It's a learning curve but here I go.... I bent the main shape first. I outlined a 1-4 inch lip on the inside. I then slower bent it in towards the middle... With small pliers....You have to take it little by little... As you do this you will lose your main shape... So you have to reshape that... Then back inside.. I took a piece of 5/16 inch round stock and placed it in side the lip and hammered the hell out of it...always watching the main shape outside... Repeat. Repeat. Repeat... Then I took. 150 grit sand paper and a sander and sanded the hell out of it... Sheet metal......you have to be right on ....well pretty close but with the 1/16 thick aluminum you have some fudge factor to sand out.. And funky....I'm not an expert in this... I'm more a tig welder then fabricator but know just enough to be dangerous. Lol. Hope this helps. Oh... I use a lead hammer. Easier on the metal

Imagination feeds creativity

Dominick
RcBurnout
1/4 scale guru

Post by RcBurnout »

Dashboard in. But now my thoughts on the sheet metal being to thin is becoming reality. I'm glad this s just a dry run. All pieces are welded to gather now.

Dominick
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
RcBurnout
1/4 scale guru

Post by RcBurnout »

My thought at the beginning when welding long joints on this thin sheet metal the heat warps the metal. With the aluminum it will disburse better with less distortion and it thicker as well ... If there is a little distortion with the aluminum you have material there to feather out

That's why this one is a dry run and template.... But that being said this will be a gorgeous car after it get a coat of bondo. Block and sand. Primer. And paint

The aluminum one is only getting the blue stripes painted on it.... It wil all be buffed and polished.

Dominick
RcBurnout
1/4 scale guru

Post by RcBurnout »

Should be a good build. Have fun... Post pics

Dominick
Mike Casey
Legacy Member

Post by Mike Casey »

I love this project so far, keep it up!
www.quarterscalelegends.com The Awesome history of 1/4 scale!!
RcBurnout
1/4 scale guru

Post by RcBurnout »

Thats a nice find. 8 bucks is cheap

Thanx Funky

Dominick
RcBurnout
1/4 scale guru

Post by RcBurnout »

Ok...just got back from vacation and did a test run with some aluminum and the English wheel. I beat it In the shape I wanted with a hammer and in the English wheel it went ....I'm surprised how it keep the initial shape that I made with the hammer. I feel a little better now that I achieved this shape. I started making template of the 32 ford but I think I'm going to have to tighten them up a bit...
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Mike Casey
Legacy Member

Post by Mike Casey »

that looks fantastic.
RcBurnout
1/4 scale guru

Post by RcBurnout »

Thanx Mike. In the learning process but I'm happy with the outcome.... I need to be able to do this for the rear of the 32 and 34 ford... Templates. Templates. Templates. :roll:
Mike Casey
Legacy Member

Post by Mike Casey »

You will get there. Believe it or not, the guy that did my Daytona coupe aluminum body did not have a English wheel or even a air hammer. He used a hammer and vise for the whole thing. Hell, he is making us this dash with just the basic tools...
Attachments
Resize_0717131245-02_01.jpg
RcBurnout
1/4 scale guru

Post by RcBurnout »

That's awesome...awwwww. The light at the end of the tunnel. :D
Mike Casey
Legacy Member

Post by Mike Casey »

Yea, but your pic of that small piece looks just as good, so you are for sure going in the right direction.
Mike Casey
Legacy Member

Post by Mike Casey »

yes, this is in our full size Daytona coupe. Just received this pic today on my text.
RcBurnout
1/4 scale guru

Post by RcBurnout »

Baby steps guys.... I want this so bad. My vision of this 32 is polished aluminum with only the blue stripes for paint so it has to be right... Baby steps for sure. :D
Mike Casey
Legacy Member

Post by Mike Casey »

getting to that level is hard. Especially with aluminum. You will start getting a lot of weird things going on when you start to tig those pieces together. Much easier with steel.