What type of foam for tires?

Post your custom home made components here. Rear ends, wheels, steering, etc. No mass produced of factory items please.
oldschoolmidget
1/4 scale guru

Re: What type of foam for tires?

Post by oldschoolmidget »

Stop by a shop named Bob's foam today to look at some neoprene foam. The neoprene they had felt to soft. looked the same though. Someone should know if there is a certain Durometer (hardness)

Anthony
quartermortar

Post by quartermortar »

These foams are subject to flat spotting. Don't always return to original shape and size. Always looking for something better. John
Emilio
1/4 Scale Legend!

Post by Emilio »

John I think Anthony is going to beat us with a bat if you don't give the exact name of the foam u use, of course you are not obligated to do so :cry: Anyway, Anthony what I'm using is pretty spot on 8)
quartermortar

Post by quartermortar »

So ya want the whole name. I can't do that. I have never been told one. I just go to the site get the phone number and call. That is all there is to it. I usually go to my computer do a search and call. They will just about always try to help. I believe there is a better foam available but my source of information is keeping it a secret. Just the way it is. John
RcBurnout
1/4 scale guru

Post by RcBurnout »

Hello folks. Been along time since I've been on here.... Some awesome projects going on. Truly 1/4 scale is one of the most unique hobbies in the world. Mimicking true life in a smaller scale is always amazing and exciting. The talent in here is crazy amazing

One of the reasons I don't participate as much anymore is directly connected to this thread... This community , or should I say some of the folks in it always think what they have is gold or a trade secret. And in some cases , but not many is understandable and stands true...

I have crawled back under my rock and keep my creations to myself. Not being selfish but the stress level is a lot lower

Ok. My point. I used to share every thing I discovered thru out my trials and errors with you all... Most of my stuff was deleted...understandable. I was an ass to say the least.. But I shared to help other.. And I hope I did.

So. I'm not gonna give away the above mentioned names trade secrets ( which I think is a shame) but I'm gonna help you find it yourself. Mind you it took 3 years of research hit and miss to find it... But. You will succeed if you want...

Ready....
For one... It's closed Cell Foam... Stop with the the crazy words
For two. It's comes in all densities. Big hint there
For three. Literally thousands of places sell.
For four. It comes in sheets of 4 foot by 6 foot sheets
Five. It comes in different thicknesses.
Six. It can be oil resistant or not. Your choice
Seven. All tires deform if car sits on them for long periods of time. Even good years deform. Block your cars up.

Eight. Ask for a sample. You will be surprised that they will send you various samples for free
Nine. Be honest with them. Tell them what your using it for. They do not care about our little world

10. Pick the density that best suits your racing or shelf queen needs... Keep in my not all foam is as easy to work with as others.

I've been building tires for along time. No one.... And I mean no one can match my foam tires on the planet.... So ... When you get your foam... And you will find it? Show me up

RcBurnout

Imagination Feeds Creativity.
RcBurnout
1/4 scale guru

Post by RcBurnout »

This is a sample of some of my tires. I can inlay any color white wall I want in them. Also have figured out how to vulcanize the sidewall to give it that rubber look. Hope your enjoy

RcBurnout

Imagination Feeds Creativity
Attachments
image.jpg
RcBurnout
1/4 scale guru

Post by RcBurnout »

I also dabble in wheel inserts as well. Not to shabby. Now I know there's a bunch of you that have WAY more talent then me and and the means to put these wheels and tires to shame. Hope all this has helped and motivated some of you to realize just because that's all that's available doesn't mean that's good enough.

Imagination feeds creativity
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Lovedr
Legacy Member

Post by Lovedr »

Very nice work!
Emilio
1/4 Scale Legend!

Post by Emilio »

You make a nice tire Dom, but Jan Gilmer will give you a good run for your money, in fact I think he's the best and I've seen plenty. Anyway, If you don't get an exact name or answer for the foam you need, it comes down to seeing and feeling it in person. I posted what I use and works for me. I will be posting some 6" X 2" tires with the foam I use and give my final thoughts.

Later
RcBurnout
1/4 scale guru

Post by RcBurnout »

Emilio. I think you misunderstood me. Lol. I've already picked my foam. In fact before purchasing my foam I sent a sample of the original foam tires to the company. They did a density test to ensure I was gonna receive the product I wanted. Then they sent me samples of of foam that was softer and harder to compress for a comparison....

I haven't shown any one my new tires yet.... Lol. When my car is done I'll show them.

My post was to help you folks find the foam. With the hints I gave you on how to look it up... Again. I already have picked mine. Enough foam to makes tires all day and all nite every nite for the rest of my life if so be. Lol. Your funny.

Emilio
1/4 Scale Legend!

Post by Emilio »

Dom I didn't miss understand you, I'm elaborating on what you said "You make the best tires on the planet and that no one can match them" Also you gave no info on what type of foam to use? Yes it's called closed cell, that's a no brainer, what we would like to know is the product ID number or inventory number so some of us can order the same foam you're using. By all means no one is obligated to share their secrets or info, but then again why even waste your keyboard strength on this thread with nonsense?
RcBurnout
1/4 scale guru

Post by RcBurnout »

Not causing waves. There is 3 tire sources out there that make foam tires. Ask them. Or do some simple research. That's it.

BRP
Quarter morter
Jan Gilmer

I'm done..... This is way I won't participate with this stuff as much

Dominick
Emilio
1/4 Scale Legend!

Post by Emilio »

Well that's too bad Dom because I for one like your skills and craftsmanship.
quartermortar

Post by quartermortar »

The foam i use i get from Foam N More 248 284 0002 available in different thickness up to 2". Call them. They will send you a small sample to check out if you ask. Thats all i can offer. As far as secrets go. They only stunt the growth of our sport. Try not to use them
RcBurnout
1/4 scale guru

Post by RcBurnout »

Well, I'll be the first to say thank you to Quartermortar for sharing his personal source even thou I am set in my ways with what I use.. I'm sure you helped out a bunch of people with that. Hopefully they can take the ball and run with it and figure out a great process to make the tires.

Dominick