What type of foam for tires?

Post your custom home made components here. Rear ends, wheels, steering, etc. No mass produced of factory items please.
Emilio
1/4 Scale Legend!

What type of foam for tires?

Post by Emilio »

Hey folks, anyone have any idea what type of exact foam is used or would work to make tires? I need to make a set for my 2 1/2" tether car rims. Thanks for your help!

Emilio
Al Gibson (QSL)
Legacy Member

Re: What type of foam for tires?

Post by Al Gibson (QSL) »

Emilio

John Foster would be a great source for that information. Al
Emilio
1/4 Scale Legend!

Post by Emilio »

Good idea thanks!
Emilio
1/4 Scale Legend!

Post by Emilio »

Fortunately I went with my wife to the craft store and found the foam that is almost identical to the foam used in the RC industry more or less, and to be honest they seem almost the same foam as the one on my Gilmer. With that said, I'm posting what I purchased and how I achieved the size and look I was going for, after determining the size, I cut out 2 X of the 2mm foam and 2 x 6mm to get my 5/8 width, then glued together and sanded down to 4" diameter using my dremel as a lathe.Forgot to mention, these foam sheets come in various sizes, I only needed a 5/8 width but you can make these for 1/4 scale up to any size width and diameter using thicker foam sheets. Hope this helps and hope you enjoy :)
Attachments
tire1.jpg
tire2.jpg
tire3.jpg
tire4.jpg
tire5.jpg
tire6.jpg
tire7.jpg
Al Gibson (QSL)
Legacy Member

Post by Al Gibson (QSL) »

Emilio
Very nice, you found a great way to solve a long standing problem. Al
oldschoolmidget
1/4 scale guru

Post by oldschoolmidget »

Someone here might know the proper name of that type of foam used for the rc tires.
Emilio
1/4 Scale Legend!

Post by Emilio »

It's called Closed-Cell foam, the problem is there are so many type of closed-cell foam ranging from neoprene to soft and hard types that it's hard to know what you're looking for unless you can physically touch or see it. What I found for my project is close to what's on my Gilmer. But if someone can chime in on the standard that would be great, either way for me I found what I'm looking for.
quartermortar

Post by quartermortar »

i will post the information that you need as soon as i get to the shop today. John
quartermortar

Post by quartermortar »

The foam you need is from Foam and More you will want neoprene closed cell. This is where i buy my foam from. I have a question for you. What does the tire look like at 30,000 RPM?
Emilio
1/4 Scale Legend!

Post by Emilio »

Thank you John for the information! John I don't know the RPMs on the dremel but I accidentally went full throttle instead of turning it off and there was very little to no vibration, no wobble or oblong movement, I made sure that all the cuts were perfectly centered. On the other hand, these are just for static display, if I would to run my tether car with these, they would wear down in less than a few circles at over 50 mph. I will definitely try the neoprene closed cell, is this what I'm looking for? http://www.foamforyou.com/neoprene.htm#Neoprene
Mike Casey
Legacy Member

Post by Mike Casey »

nice thread. Well done guys!
www.quarterscalelegends.com The Awesome history of 1/4 scale!!
oldschoolmidget
1/4 scale guru

I don't think it's neoprene. I researched it a few years back and it had a different name. I will have to look it up again.
oldschoolmidget
1/4 scale guru

Well I looked it up and came up with (EVA) Ethylene-vinyl acetate. Haven't tried it yet, but the neoprene looks good too. Is neoprene all the same? What type would you use??

Anthony
Emilio
1/4 Scale Legend!

Post by Emilio »

Anthony I'm the last guy to question John.F, he uses neoprene closed cell, which type? that's the answer I'm waiting for from John, I trust he knows best.
quartermortar

Post by quartermortar »

There is another company that i buy from also. It is the Foam Factory.This is a on going search to find a better rubber. The search goes on. John