Al Gibson's New Era Dragster Build

Emilio
1/4 Scale Legend!

Re: Al Gibson's New Era Dragster Build

Post by Emilio »

Thanks Al I'm going to get a few! If you are going to go with the checkered flag, the one on the banner would be my choice, seems better for the dragsters narrower body.
Al Gibson (QSL)
Legacy Member

Post by Al Gibson (QSL) »

Thanks to John Foster at http://www.quartermortar.com for making this scale butterfly steering wheel for my New Era Dragster.
Attachments
2014-05-22 15.42.45.jpg
Al Gibson (QSL)
Legacy Member

Life has been a little crazy for me the past two months and i have not been able to spend as much time on my cars or here on QSL. With brush fires in the area, sketchy funding for my job, termites and house fumigation and now the repairs from those pesky termites have taken all my free time. I did however, reorganize my garage and make my cars easier to get to when i do find the time.

One of my friends here in San Diego who is on QSL (oneturboneeded) is working on a few carbon fiber projects for me. I want to replace all the sheet metal on my cars with carbon fiber and he is making and fabricating those pieces now. Additionally, he is making a carbon fiber body for my funny car complete with the QSL logo. I cannot wait to see and post the results of his efforts.

I just wanted to do a little update, even though i am not always posting or responding on QSL, I do check it many times a day and try to keep up with new members and posts. Remember in the world of drag racing, it's "Go Big or Go Home" and I'm not about to give up.
Attachments
2014-06-13 09.14.16.jpg
Emilio
1/4 Scale Legend!

Post by Emilio »

Very handsome collection Al! on carbon fiber, I believe Mike Ogle had a beautiful carbon fiber funny car (at least it appears to be?) one of my favorites and I believe it was displayed in an article of an RC magazine by author Mike Ogle.
Attachments
black_max_rear_135.jpg
Al Gibson (QSL)
Legacy Member

Awesome pic. Do you have any more? how about the article in the RC magazine?
Emilio
1/4 Scale Legend!

Post by Emilio »

Al I don't remember exactly the article but it might have been in one of my topics before I went with a new membership and got deleted. I'll try and dig into some old magazines, I'm very anxious to see the carbon fiber bodies, hope they get produced!
Al Gibson (QSL)
Legacy Member

Awesome thanks. The carbon fiber body process is looking real good. Should be able to post some pix soon. Al
Jay C
1/4 scale guru

Post by Jay C »

Al your dragster looks really good. Is there any company still doing manufacture of them anywhere in the world? Im part of a supercharged outlaws team and wouldnt mind doing a scaled down replica of the teams race car. motor and radio gear not required. just rolling car
Al Gibson (QSL)
Legacy Member

Jay C

John Foster at http://www.quartermortar.com can hook you up with a rolling chassis complete with one of his own quick change rear ends.
Jay C
1/4 scale guru

Post by Jay C »

Al Gibson (QSL) wrote:Jay C

John Foster at http://www.quartermortar.com can hook you up with a rolling chassis complete with one of his own quick change rear ends.

Thanks for the Tip Al. Ill have a look at the site. My next question and its a big laughable one.........Any blown conleys running around??????? I know its a big ask.
Al Gibson (QSL)
Legacy Member

Jay C

There are several people on QSL that have blown conley's. Go under collectible 1/4 scale and pick a category and start a conversation about these amazing engines. I
am sure that you will get several people involved. Al
Jay C
1/4 scale guru

Post by Jay C »

cheers mate will do and thanks for the direction :D
Al Gibson (QSL)
Legacy Member

Well practicing cutting and roughing in a Pacesetter body on this New Era car, i like the way the body has the front wing molded into it. Once i feel comfortable, i will try repairing the body cracks and see what it takes to get it ready for paint. I need to smooth the front suspension holes and make the body flush with the lower frame rails. It has been a while for me to be able to spend any time on my cars, i just needed to carve out a little "me" time and enjoy working on them once again.

So what are you working on?, post your projects pictures!!
Attachments
2015-06-08 12.38.44.jpg
2015-06-08 12.37.28.jpg
2015-06-08 12.36.12.jpg
2015-06-08 12.35.58.jpg
2015-06-08 12.35.41.jpg
Al Gibson (QSL)
Legacy Member

Just figured a way to attach the body with out using velcro. Looks to be real close.
Attachments
2015-06-08 18.17.11.jpg
2015-06-08 18.15.51.jpg
Mike Casey
Legacy Member

Post by Mike Casey »

Looking nice!
www.quarterscalelegends.com The Awesome history of 1/4 scale!!