Electric Funny Car

Post pictures and details of your rides here! Open to comments.
M.R. Ogle

Re: Electric Funny Car

Post by M.R. Ogle »

I think you have the drive system correct as it is.

Turning the motor inline with the chassis to change the direction of power 90-degrees with a fixed ratio gearbox will probably not be an improvement.

I know all the quickest guys in 1:10 Electric drag racing (Todd Commons, Brandon Podlich, Chris Smith, etc...) are now using sidewinder cars, the inline cars simply didn't work as well, and they're limited to a single gear ratio.
Juiced Drag Racing
Legacy Member

Post by Juiced Drag Racing »

Or a chain drive ?

Wink, Wink?

To many losses in a gear drive?

Juiced
M.R. Ogle

Post by M.R. Ogle »

Most efficient: Two gears, Pinion to spur. Big one on the rear axle, small one on the motor. But the motor has to fit between the rear tires.

Also good: Chain-drive, sprocket to spur, just heavier. Zero slip, though!

Belt drive: Still good, adjustable and vibration-isolating, downside is some parasitic belt-drag.

Okay, but not optimum: 90-degree right angle gearbox, but you're changing the power 90 degrees, so you get some bearing side-loading, and unless you have a quick-change and can GET down to the ratio you need (most can't), you're stuck with one ratio.
CALracing
1/4 scale guru

Post by CALracing »

Thanks for the information Mike it will save me the time and work to make the change. It does have reverse so I can do a burn out and then back up to the line. :lol: Thanks Geoff
M.R. Ogle

Post by M.R. Ogle »

Post video when you go testing!
dragman

Post by dragman »

hello if you dont mind telling me, how much did it cost to build and would you build one to sell?