T anyone?

Post your custom large scale projects completed or not here. These are home builds. No factory or mass produced cars please.
troppo

T anyone?

Post by troppo »

G`day guys
I been planning to build something for a while, had plans for 3 seperate models but couldnt get a start.
Well i got to spend some quality time in the shed today, after trying to clean up for 1/2 an hour or so i got bored and thought about doing something real.
Heres the result of a day in the shed, gonna have to try and keep pushing, i want this one running under its own power!

OK i decided to combine two of my plans (means i only have 2 models not three in the planning lol) so i combined the dragster and model T C cab to get an old school dragster........

I had the blanks cut for the sides and the roof already but when they`re flat sheet its not exciting, so with a bit of work they look like this now
so after a few hours of banging and hammering i have sides and roof with lips and wired edges formed.

Then i had to form the cowl, i made a hammer form or buck to work on from some scrap steel and a block of tassie oak

Once you have your buck set you need to work out your material blank pattern.
So i get out my cad equipment (thats Cardboard Aided Design for those of you that didnt know)
and you wind up with this
from this you cut the material, in this case aluminium sheet (roof sheet off cuts from work) and with a little work you get this
note the beer can for scale

heres the pocket bike engine i`m planning to use up against the side panel

and heres the dummy engine i was planning to use on the dragster, should look good in this with a little work (beer can again for scale)

I have got to keep pushing to actually get this done, need to raid the scrap bin at work and get started on the chassis
Juiced Drag Racing
Legacy Member

Re: T anyone?

Post by Juiced Drag Racing »

Cooooool Beans!
Please keep us informed on the progress!!

Juiced.
M.R. Ogle

Post by M.R. Ogle »

CAD= Cardboard Aided Design...LOL!!!!

Yep, I know that technology well. Use it all the time!
troppo

Post by troppo »

got my front wheels today, nice set of 4 inch spoked model plane wheels
gonna have a good time in the shed this weekend, got the material for the chassis but i still need the go kart wheels to finalise the chassis design
Attachments
resize.JPG
troppo

Post by troppo »

G`day guys
Finally got another day in the shed, some play time with the T.
Got a few snaps of my rough wire edging technique for DMM. So lets get to it

Heres my basic tools for edging, a planishing hammer (though i use a small ball pein just as often) a wire edging dolly (the block of steel with a flat lip of sheet steel the same diameter as the wire being used) and the wire i`m using is .9 mig wire

The aluminium is .8 roof coil off cuts from work, fold a lip over to about 120 degrees

Using the flat blade of the dolly hammer the lip till its almost closed up then insert the wire

Using the blade of the dolly to hold the wire tight into the almost closed flap and hammer the lip over the wire, you can see the small ball pein i like to use here

heres the lip folded over and marked for a cut to produce the radiator shroud

With this thin aly i use a stanly knife for the straight cuts, half a dozen heavy slices and it will snap off fairly easily when you bend it at the cut

This is the face of the radiator marked out for cutting, still dont know whether i should emboss an old style ford on it or not lol

with a little sweat and a lot of noise you wind up with these, the sidewall and face of the radiator shroud

A few little tweaks and it`ll be ready for bonding together

And heres the results so far, the chassis is done pretty as much as i can till i get the go kart wheels for the back. The front wheels are 100 mm diameter and they look bloody tiny on the old girl, dont know if i can get bigger wheels that look good for it though
Mike Casey
Legacy Member

Post by Mike Casey »

absolutely amazing!!! Very cool and love the how to pics!

Maybe for the front wheels you can find some scooter wheels of some sort.... Actually there was a link on the forum years ago to a place that custom made wire wheels in many sizes. I think its gone though now...
www.quarterscalelegends.com The Awesome history of 1/4 scale!!
troppo

Post by troppo »

Thanks QSL, i`m looking at a dolls pram or something similar, should be able to find one with about the right sized wheels fairly cheaply, just a tad annoyed that those wheels are too small, they cost as much as the damned pocket bike engine lol
troppo

Post by troppo »

Very interesting link Dan, but kinda out of my price range, almost $400 US assembled for 6 inch wheels? I think i`ll pass, but thanks for the link all the same.......
Mike Casey
Legacy Member

Post by Mike Casey »

yea, those were the guys. That is expensive. I am sure you will find something close. The ones you have do look way too small.
www.quarterscalelegends.com The Awesome history of 1/4 scale!!
CALracing
1/4 scale guru

Post by CALracing »

Global hobby had some that where 5.5" but I'm having a problem with the web site.$40.
bill

Post by bill »

Just a thought try some baby stroller wheels or some garden carts have wire spokes in the 6 to 7 inch range they maybe more affordable hope you find something if i run acrossed anything ill PM you :mrgreen: